Thursday, January 09, 2014

I have to start somewhere....

The first post of 2014.....where to begin?

The weaving has begun with a simple warp on the workshop loom in preparation for a workshop next week with JoAnn Bachelder.  The link is to the guild registration page.  Although the registration deadline was Dec. 15, I bet you could get in if you contact them.
It's a three shaft weave workshop.   I chose brown and white as my contrasting colors...not very interesting, hence no photo's.

Since my last post, I had a birthday.  One of my gifts was Inge Dam's book:
She is an amazing weaver and now I would also say author.  The book not only shows her beautiful fabrics, but clear illustrations on how to do what she does, along with tips and tricks for success.  I am smitten.

Another book for the new year is Textiles: The Whole Story by Beverly Gordon.
I have long enjoyed Beverly Gordon's earlier book Shaker Textile Arts.  This title is much more dense in covering the history of textiles over many cultures.  It's a perfect book for curling up with during the arctic vortex we've been experiencing over the past week....if you are a textile junkie.  It's due to come out in paperback soon.  I hope they don't thrift on the photographs and illustrations in the new version.

And the last textile book is Cotton: The Fabric that Made the Modern World by Giorgio Riello (I gave you the Amazon link so you can go do the "look inside" thing.):
The author takes an academic look at cotton and the role it has played in global history and economics beginning with the cultivation of cotton in India in the year 1000 AD.  It's a book that causes me to respect those cones of 8/2 cotton and the bag of Tubular Spectrum yarn from the Lunatic fringe in the cupboard, and the jeans that I am inevitably wearing while reading this book.  We keep seeing news reports of how environmentally unfriendly cotton is......Let's hope that new practices will keep us weavers in cotton for many years to come.

And the last title I've acquired is a bittersweet one for me.  It wasn't a birthday gift, but something I just bought for myself:
This is the first chapter book I ever owned.  It  is the same edition I was given by my oldest brother(13 years older than me).  I think he purchased it while on a trip to visit Miami University where he had a scholarship to play for the Hurricanes way back in the late 1950's.  He passed away on Jan. 2 after a valiant struggle with COPD.

There are others in my family who have a great resentment of my early and continuing love for books, but not Dale.  I have benefited greatly from his encouragement and pride in my accomplishments.  He was a character...and a hero...and we all miss him terribly.



5 comments:

  1. Do you know anything about Gordon's "The Final Steps"? It's been on my Wish List for a while as she sounds like a superb author on matters textile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother - sounds like he was a very understanding soul (of a kid sister). I had that same version of "Heidi" - It was one of the early books I ever read. It's a good thing when a busy child such as I was encouraged to read to get me to sit still. Reading is still a joy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy,
    Condolences on the recent loss of your brother. I am so glad you were able to find the exact edition of Heidi. Bittersweet indeed, and what a gift he gave you, large enough to last a lifetime and to take you to many many places no doubt between those pages. Travels with Heidi was just a first adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What interesting books you have! Good curl up in a chair with a hot beverage while engaging the brain kind of reading.
    I'm so sorry your brother, Dale, has lost his fight with COPD. You will miss him and his gentle loving influence. It looks like he knew just what his little sis needed.
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of books, my copy of The Interestings finally came in at the library and I absolutely loved it. It's one of my favorite books in the last dozen months. The writing was so good that I was completely sucked in and could see and hear the characters. What a wonderful recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...