Saturday, December 14, 2013

Embers

How about some weaving that is fitting for the coming solstice?


It's a shawl/scarf thing that was unencumbered by the sampling process.  Seen here lying on today's snowfall, about 6 new inches of the stuff since this morning.  

The weave structure is a variation on honeycomb which slides dangerously close to deflected double weave IMHO.  
Here's the draft, woven with the wrong side up:
 


Note that there are two warps, two wefts, and some long warp floats.  This normally an 8 shaft draft, but I made it a 10 shaft draft to get a modified plain weave on the selvedges and at both hems. 

Here is the back view of the draft, which is really the right side of the cloth:

 


The fine warp and weft is 20/2's black wool, worsted spun.  The heavy warp and weft is Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn, colorway 84.  I set the black wool at 24 epi, and the Noro at 12 epi. then tried to beat to square.

I was banking on the fine wool fulling and holding thos floats in place.  Here's a view of those floats on the loom:
The web was 18" wide in the reed, the finished width after washing is 17".  The woven length on the loom was 72" without fringe.  After washing the length is about 60", so I lost a lot more length than width.

So, what did I learn from this project?
  1. Just because you like the colors in a yarn, doesn't mean it's good quality yarn.  Crappy yarn comes in nice colors too.
  2. I used both warp beams on my Macomber for the first time:
BTW..that film canister is for a floating selvedge, required on just one side because the pattern weft thread must go through the same shed twice. 
These show the route of the two warps at the back of the loom from the side and from the top.  All of that went more smoothly than I expected and I will definitely take advantage of that feature again.

3.  I learned that the second warp beam, which has a ratchet brake also has a live tension system on it:
And I learned that a little friction tape is needed to keep the live tension cord from slipping off the beam and onto the axle of the beam.  This photo is before the friction tape was applied.

4. I am reminded once again the value of sampling, even though there was not enough of the Noro yarn to make a scarf and a sample.  But I was not going to spend $20 on another ball of yarn for a sample.  So, I think we will call this project a useable sample and perhaps visit this weave structure another time.

Here's a photo that gives you a glimpse of what the back of the fabric looks like in the upper left hand corner of the scarf:




I really thought it would collapse more.  
Oh well, the scarf is cozy and kept me warm as I ran the snow-blower up and down the driveway today.  And I learned a thing or two from the project.  

That's as much as one can hope for when they haven't sampled.

 






2 comments:

  1. Even though I always knit a gauge swatch when I knit, I hardly ever sample before I weave. So far, I haven't had any catastrophic failures, but I think I've been lucky. I did a small sample of some raw silk color and weave on my small structo loom. I did learn from it, so I'm not as opposed to the time and effort taken as I was. But, since I'm into highly visible progress, it's hard sometimes to stop and take the time to sample.

    Love the colors - which yarn did you thing was yucky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfectly wearable scarf for everyday and a wonderful idea. I think you certainly need to flesh it out and try again because it sounds like there are some really lovely possibilities! Good for you experimenting with the second beam.
    I'm overwhelmed with putting a loom together right now, let alone actually weaving on it. Horrors to come!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...