Next was deciding how to seam the piece in a way that works for a baby blanket. Hand stitching cotton just didn't seem like a durable option. One of the early samples reminded me of denim so I started thinking about a double stitched flat fell seam....but how to deal with all of those fabric layers?
Because I had a lot of sample fabric woven, I had the luxury of spending time at the serger and sewing machine to try seaming options. Here's what I ended up with:
One tip I learned while weaving the blanket:
My solution: I taped the new end to the edge thread toward the reed using a tiny piece (1/4" square at most) of painters tape. Once I had woven an inch or so, I removed the tape and continued weaving. In finishing, the only thing those ends required was a close trim. The reed was an 8 dent reed and the selvedge thread was dented alone, so the trick may not work with a smaller reed and closer set. But on this project it was the perfect solution.
Now I need to:
- pack it up
- send it off to the new baby
- vacuum the lint out of the serger and sewing machine
- vacuum all the threads off the floor in the loom and sewing rooms
- wind a new warp for the next project!