Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Bevy of Books....

Still weaving on the baby blanket, still knitting on the mystery item, and no pictures because it is a dark and stormy morning, with rain coming down.  I'm not complaining, we need it.  But I want to tell you about some books that have recently entered my world.

First of all is A Crackle Weave Companion.  I learned about this book through an off-handed mention on one of the weaving lists.  I have Susan Wilson's recent book, Weave Classic Crackle and More and took her workshop that parallels the book last year and I highly recommend both.  However, Lucy  Brusic has taken a somewhat different approach to crackle weave.  For the past 40 years she has been working on exploring crackle through the works of Mary Snyder, Marguerite Davison, and Mary Atwater.  This book sticks with 4 shaft crackle and elucidates the work of these three weaving giants with beautiful color photography and clear conversational writing.  I highly recommend both books, but if you are new to weaving, love color interaction, and are sticking with 4 shaft weaves, take a look at Lucy's book. 

The second book to cross the threshold recently is The Weaver's Inkle Pattern Directory by Anne Dixon.  If you are already familiar with her book,  The Handweavers Pattern Directory, you are familiar with the thorough treatment which Anne gives her subjects.  I own most of the out of print classics on inkle weaving and Anne has managed a fresh approach to both the inkle loom and the weaving.  Not interested in weaving on an inkle loom?  Think of this book as warp faced pattern weaves that you could do on any loom with two shafts (rigid heddle perhaps?)  There are so many ideas included that I want to try.

The most recent addition arrived yesterday, so I'm just getting into it.  The title is Weaving Textiles That Shape Themselves by Ann Richards (not the former Texas governor!)  The book is a design book that suggests uses for high twist yarns and weave structures that maximize the design potential when using these yarns.  I first saw this book when a guild member ordered it through Amazon UK, and I dismissed it because I have Anne Field's Collapse Weave book.  Then at a later meeting someone else brought in a copy and I took a closer look.  Like the inkle weave and crackle weave books above, Ann Richards manages to come at the topic from a different perspective than Anne Field.  Both of them have interesting things to say and offer different types of inspiration.  This is one of those books that will be in high demand for years to come.  The design and technical information is classic.  I'm looking forward to spending many hours with this book.

And the last book is a non-weaving book:  another piece of fiction from Scotland  The White Lie by Andrea Gillies.  I've linked you to The Guardian review, because I don't think I can improve upon it and this post is too long.  That said, if you've read this far....Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great book list! I have added both The White Lie and Keeper (he rfirst book) to my kindle and the Shape Themselves book is certainly going on my weaving book list.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...