Monday, June 11, 2012

After long silence...

Knitting:
One sock is done, the other well begun:
Someone asked about the pattern.  It is Rushing Rivulet.

Weaving:
The weaving group I belong to is studying tied weaves during this two year cycle.  It has been a really fascinating topic to explore.  In order to keep myself from wandering all over the map in the broad field of tied weaves, I've been playing around with translating a single 4 shaft profile draft into various tied weave structures.

Awhile ago I became smitten with a four shaft overshot pattern called "Trellis" in  the book, Weaving Designs by Bertha Gray Hayes.

First I wove it in overshot as designed in the book:
 Both the front and back.

Then I translated the pattern into 4 shaft - 4 block overshot, a double weave technique (which is not a tied weave):
I should have used yarns with greater contrast in this one.

Next, I  used the draft as a profile draft to translate the pattern into Summer & Winter on 6 shafts to produce these towels:
 This is the warp that was on the loom when the great paint and carpeting project began.  Remember this:
I finally cut them off the loom on Saturday and am currently working on hemming them.  With 6 shafts in Summer & Winter, you get 4 blocks.  The red and white towels on the left  are treadled as two blocks against two blocks.  In the green towels I changed the tie up so that I was treadling 1 block against three which changed the appearance of the pattern to something a bit more delicate.  The red towels are closer to the original pattern.

My latest sample has been to translate the 4 shaft draft as a block draft into a weave structure known as Diversified Plain Weave:
The heavy yarns in this one are 3/2 mercerized cotton in natural and navy.  The fine yarns are 10/2 mercerized cotton in the same colors.  This is also a 6 shaft weave, giving 4 threading blocks.  There are three repeats of the threading sequence shown here.  The two outer blocks use the cream as the heavy warp, and navy as the fine warp.  The center block uses navy as the heavy warp and cream as the fine warp and I inverted the profile threading and treadling for the center block.  

The literature says that the heavy yarn should be 10x thicker than the fine yarn in Diversified Plain Weave.  I think the pattern would be more visible if I had used 20/2 cotton for the fine yarns, but I didn't have any 20/2 in navy. 

I've created drafts for double two tie weave and tied overshot (paired and unpaired) structures, and there are more tied weave structures I want to play with using this profile draft.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my you HAVE been busy. Makes my head spin with all the variations.
    I struggle with profile drafts much as I hate to admit it and am not keen these days on 20/2 cotton either. ;) But I have to say your weaving is inspiring on many many levels. Nice job and it's obvious you are loving that Macomber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand most of it but the results don't need me to understand them to know that they're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...