Thursday, May 03, 2012

It's Only Natural

I'm still organizing things and moving stuff from one place to another, but I have managed to get some spinning and plying done.  First up is the spindle spun cotton:
Here is some on the spindle and the hank is about 120 yds. of 2 ply which is about the grist of 8/2 unmercerized cotton weaving yarn.  The hank weighs 10 grams.
It is, of course, naturally colored Peruvian cotton spun from sliver, purchased at The Spinning Loft.
             Here's a close up:
 I have a lot more of this to spin.  Am not sure if I'll stick with the support spindle or move to the wheel.  I do have another hank of the sliver in a different color.  Perhaps I will just do the other color on the wheel and finish this one on the support spindle.  Stay tuned for more on that decision later.  The end goal for the yarn is weaving.

Over the years I've accumulated numerous small bags of cashmere in natural colors to spin.  There is Persian cashmere, Mongolian Cashmere, cashmere from China, and also from India.  There is also some of unknown provenance.  I have been spinning up the bits of cashmere with the idea of combining all of them in a warp for a luxury hand spun, hand woven scarf.  Below is the latest batch of cashmere spun and plied on the wheel. 

 It's about 230 yds of two ply, spun from 25 grams of sliver.

 Here's a closeup of that naturally colored fiber.


And, now here's some naturally colored fiber on four paws that really made me chuckle.  Hope it does the same for you:

7 comments:

  1. Lovely spinning!

    ...and the video is too cute ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic yarns you get on a spindle! I did love the crazy cat video :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some excellent spinning: you rock the short fibers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in awe! your spinning is sooooo nice! and on a drop spindle too! so pretty!

    hugZ,
    annie
    iplaywithfiber.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to read back to get caught up (I'm terrible at keeping up with anybodies blog). Sounds like you've had a lot going on and not all of it welcome! The cashmere yarn is scrumptious. Like the others, I am so impressed with what you do on a spindle. The kitty video was a treat! Great start to my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, envy your spinning skill. It's terribly even!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...