Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Progress Report and Other Fodder

It's been said that if we couldn't talk about the weather, 90 percent of us would have nothing to say.  These days the weather in Michigan is giving us plenty to talk about as we head into our 7th day of 70 degree F temperatures in the middle of March.  We're not talking about "flirting" with the 70's from the 60's here, we are talking about the 70's heading into the 80's this afternoon.  Anomalous is the best word to describe the past week.

On the first day of warm temperatures the grocery store was filled with pasty mid-westerners who gleefully shed their winter layers for shorts and sandals.  As the warm weather has continued we remember that this is Michigan in March, and though we are still clad scantily we are all walking around with our heads ducked and shoulders elevated ready to ward off the blows that are sure to come from a capricious Mother Nature.  After all, we have had 6 inches of snow in April, March is notorious for ice storms, and T.S. Eliot has told us that "April is the cruelest month....".

Nevertheless, here are some photo's taken on this first windless (another anomaly) day of spring.
A swirl of hepatica.
 Daffs in the woods.

And some tiny wood violets for Wanda, who has a new tiny violet of her own.  (Go see hers, I'll wait.)

The decorating continues indoors, requiring plenty of thought and lots of money.  When I step back and consider what we are doing, it seems that we are spending like a couple of drunk sailors on shore leave.  The justification is that we moved into this house 22 years ago on April 10.  Time for a fresh look.
The painting is finished:
The living room walls are Valley Mist, which doesn't look much like this valley mist photo taken yesterday morning.

The carpet man was here yesterday to measure and left the color samples for us to consider.  The color name of the sample I liked first is "Pearly Gates".  I've since decided against that color, imagining that one day I might run up the stairs (as much as  I "run" up stairs these days) carpeted with "Pearly Gates" to find St. Peter at the landing.  Right now the current favorite is a slightly darker neutral called "Down Home".  A much more comforting name that will show less dirt and cat hair.

Really....who comes up with the names for these colors?!

I've picked out light fixtures which carry the name of "Anvil Iron"....which is the most accurately descriptive name of anything we've picked so far.
The fabric samples for the window treatments are on back order....which does not bode well for speedy delivery of window treatments.  Perhaps this is the way of the universe putting the brakes on the spending binge.

Tomorrow we meet again with the carpet man to learn what the $ damages will be and submit our order for "Down Home".  We are carpeting two additional rooms to those that were painted, plus the master walk-in closet.  While we are at it (the 5 most expensive words in remodeling or decorating) we would also like to have the carpet in my sewing room(s) restretched.  As the carpet man was taking measurements in these areas he said to me, "Don't worry, our guys will move the furniture.  You just have to move the small stuff."
Groan....where have I heard that before (click on the link if you don't know).  Those of you who have sewing rooms know......It is all small stuff, and a LOT of it, not to mention the walk-in closet.  Add to that the fact that we have run out of spaces to put the small stuff while the carpeting is being installed.

Clearly I have wasted my time doing Sudoku puzzles.  I should have been working on 3-D puzzles instead.

And that, dear reader, is the progress to date.  Happy First Day of Spring to all of you on the northern hemisphere!

4 comments:

  1. the wall color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I was rolling on the floor over the Pearly Gates carpet. I whole heartily agree. No point in taunting St. Peter. The wall color looks beautiful. And heck, I bet you two are getting misty writing out all those checks. Gene would be!
    Oh groan is right about moving a sewing room. My sympathies, but it will be wonderful to put everything back in all refreshed and re organized..won't it?

    Seems we're the only ones have true, typical crappy March weather. My folks tell me New England is in full spring like you, 70-80's. I say, when do I board my plane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendelene8:37 AM

    You're on the fast track compared to my remodeling/redecorating schedule. I moved into this house 7 years ago. At the time I said that the first thing I needed to do was replace the carpeting. 5 years later I had managed to do one room. Then I had a plumbing issue which resulted in all the rest of the carpet having to be torn out. But AS LONG AS I WAS AT IT, I decided to repaint, replace the kitchen counters and do various other repairs. I've been living with concrete slab floors for over a year. With about another year's worth of work to go. In my defense, I'm doing most of the work myself, so I get some slack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:33 AM

    You won't regret getting a little darker carpet. I notice what ever I pick always looks lighter after it's laid.I had to laugh at the pearly gates story. As I always tell you you should be a writer,with such a great play on words.
    Love Ya,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...