Thursday, November 17, 2011

More Painted Warps....

This is finally off the loom and finish work done:
The warp is bamboo, Aunt Lydia's Bamboo Crochet Thread.  Which by the way, takes fiber reactive dye very well.  The weft is a Web's 20/2's silk in Orient Blue (purchase on sale).  The sett was 18 epi.  The weave structure is two block 8 shaft false damask (or twill damask).

Here's the obligatory "on my back fence" shot:
On loom the width of the web was 14.25" and the length was 72" (excluding fringe).
Off loom width was 13 7/8" and 70" length.  Finished dimensions: 11 3/8" x 68".

There are 5 warp chains in the piece: 3 painted warps and 2 narrower chains vat dyed in apple green.  I wanted something that was plaid-like, but not so structured.  So I "unvented" this little design tool to give me a rhythmic sort of plaid look:

Knowing the value of using the fibonacci sequence in designing stripes, why not use that concept for weaving blocks?  So I took a dollar store 6 sided die and wrote an 8 on the 4 side and a 13 on the 6 side.  That way the six sided die had the first 6 fibonacci numbers on it: 1,2,3,5,8,13.  I decided on the size of the 1's unit based on a threading unit of the draft (16 threads = 16 picks), then I would roll the die and weave the number of units in block A.  The next roll of the die would be woven for that number of units in block B.  I'm really happy with the results.  
And it looks good with my new jacket:

What would I do differently?  Well, maybe I should have used some of the blue weft threads in the fringe to tone them down a little bit and help them coordinate with the fabric. 

Since the Sara Lamb workshop, I'm on a roll.  Here's the next painted warp and accompanying threads:
The painted warp is a silk/cotton mill end.  The accompanying yarns are rayon.  I'm going to tackle designing this in the reed and threading front to back.  So it may be awhile before you see this actually on the loom.  

Well that, and I have another deadline project to weave in the next few weeks.

10 comments:

  1. Wow that is absolutely beautiful!
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! And I love the dice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you a smart one!! I love the die idea, and will probably steal it!!

    I like the semi-random effect very much. And it does go very well with your jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Lovely scarf, and more to come :)!

    (my word-recognition for this comment is bless: so appropriate!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous scarf!!! Congrats for being on a roll!!! I'm trying to get back to that state now that it's cold out!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! great weaving Val! Love the colours and the pattern you chose... you are prolific these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Valerie,
    Thanks for the Susan Wilson update. I look forward to some in-depth crackle. Love the "High Roller Scarf" - great colors. I loved your Penland pics. What a dream: weaving, scenic beauty, instruction by Randall Darwal and camaraderie - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:57 AM

    Valerie -- *beautiful!!!* I've been wondering how painted warp would look with a drall block, and you've inspired me to give it a try.

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, changing the numbers on the dice to Fibonacci numbers! The scarf is fabulous and I love the unexpected fringe which speaks of humor and good cheer. Lighthearted, laughing conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is soooo beautiful! And clever. A Fibonnacci die. A scarf to die for.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...