Friday, August 19, 2011

What's a word worth?


The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.
William Wordsworth c.1802


Feeling a bit frazzled and overwhelmed these days. The world is too much with me and for everything I am out of tune.  Amazing how these words from two centuries ago speak to me.

As Wordsworth said. "Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers." 
In the getting and spending category, I got a new camera.  It does quite nicely with reds, don't you think?

 It also does a pretty good job of capturing "She who does not remain still."  My days are haunted by that look....it says, "Is it time to eat yet?"

And here's a promise:

A future post will contain weaving.  This is from the Crackle Workshop at MLH.  I'm going to cut off the sample and retie it (Notice how wonky it is on the cloth beam?)  We unwound our samples at the end of class so we could do a walk through critique.  Then I folded up the loom with the warp on it to transport home.  Now the tension is all wonky and I have about 5 more treadling sequences to finish the sample.

So sometime, I'm not promising when, you will see more weaving.  Till then, just enjoy the poem.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Wordsworth words...

    and lasting...oh my.

    The new camera takes marvelous images! Love the kitty, and reds and yes...the lily.

    Weaving does not look wonky to me...maybe I am wonky too?

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...