Thursday, July 28, 2011

Making lists...

The Man Booker long list was published this week and there's been some talk about it on Library Thing.  I like discussing books that I've read with others who have read them, so I took the bait and joined the Booker Prize Group on LT

Then I proceeded to list the number of books I've read that have received the prize or have been listed for it.  I'm surprised there are this many:

Booker:
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2002)
The Sea by John Banville (2005)
The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (2006) (still on my shelf..unread)
The White Tiger: A Novel (Man Booker Prize) by Aravind Adiga (2008)
Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (2000)
Disgrace by J. M. Cotzee
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (1998)
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively (1987)

The Longlist:
The Pickup by Nadine Gordimer (2001)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2003)
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke 92004)
The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson (2006)
The Gift of Rain: A Novel by Tan Twan Eng (2007)
Brooklyn: A Novel by Colm Toibin (2009)
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt (2009)
The Glass Room by Simon Mawer (2009)
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (2009)
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A Novel by David Mitchell (2010)

The Shortlist
The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields (1993)
Atonement by Ian McEwan (2001)
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (2002)
Unless by Carol Shields (2002)
Cloud Atlas: A Novel by David Mitchell (2004)
Arthur and George by Julian Barnes (2005)
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (2007)
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt (2009)
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (2009)
Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue (2010)

In general, books nominated for the Booker are not happy stories.  But they are usually well written and show beautiful use of language and have an atmosphere about them.  Most are great at character development and theme.  I would say that they are not generally plot driven novels.....but I guess that's my opinion.

So....what have you been reading that you would recommend to me?

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen8:48 AM

    My favorite books that I always recommend are by Martha Grimes. Not her Richard Jury novels, but her novels about Emma Graham. The first is Hotel Paradise. The reason I love them is that they are told in the voice of a twelve year old girl, and the voice is very true-in my opinion. She is solving a 40 year old mystery by getting the elderly and outcasts in her town to remember the past. It is in turn very funny and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William Boyd is a Booker nominee and I'd say that anything by him is something I would recommend. I don't usually read everything an author has written, but I'm one book short of completing his catalog.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...