Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Random....

Random is what you get when life gets busy and blog time is at a premium.  Last week was a blur, so I'll try to do a quick re-cap.

  • Was called for jury duty and served.  First time I've ever been called.  Much to my dismay, my name was first out of the jury selection lottery box making me "Juror Number 1" for the day.  It was an interesting experience and closer to current tv courtroom scenes than I expected.  The case involved "the malicious use of a telecommunications device".  The device was a phone.  My generational naivete kicked in as I flashed back to junior high and the "Do you have Prince Albert in a can" prank phone calls.  Uhm...no.  Much more malicious and explicit than that...and done repeatedly.  The calls were recorded and played for the jury....twice.  The unanimous verdict was guilty with less than 20 minutes of deliberation.
  • Saturday I moved 2 wheelbarrows of compost out of the compost bins, dug them into the flower beds, then planted 5 flats of flowers.  All the while I couldn't believe how taxing the activity was, considering that I have a pretty good work out schedule.  At the end, I needed 12 more impatiens plants to fill in the last area.  So I cleaned up, made and served lunch, then decided to run a couple errands and get those last 12 plants.  When I got in the car I noticed that the outside temperature on the dashboard was 93 degrees.  Uhm....no wonder I was feeling so wiped out.  I had no idea that it was that hot, thought it was just me getting decrepit.
  • My very first loom (LeClerc Artistat) was sold and went on to it's new home.  I was surprised at the volume of local inquiries from the online listings.  It was a good loom for beginners and most of the local inquiries were new or soon to be weavers.  The new owner picked it up on Saturday and was so thrilled to be taking "my baby" home with her.  What a pleasure it was to contribute to the creation of a new weaver! 
  • Put a warp on the new Macomber loom:  20/2 tencel from Just Our Yarns sett at 38 EPI:
Here's a quick look, though the red is much more burgundy.
Sharon asked me to post more about the Macomber loom, so I took some photo's during the warping process.  
One of the neat things about a Macomber is that it's possible to just lay down the front beam and beater to pull your chair right up to the heddles for threading.  This is a boon for back to front warping, which is my usual technique.  If you "click for big", you'll notice that I took off the cloth beam and laid it over to the side...you can see it on the other side of my chair. 

The loom is also higher than most jack looms so the heddles are at eye level without the need to raise the shafts during threading.
To sley the reed, I just put the cloth beam back in place, put the reed in the cap that goes on the beater, then propped the reed on the cloth beam and the loom frame to sley the reed.  Easy peasy!  Here's another shot of the same thing:
It also gives you a nice view of all 14 treadles.....yikes...kind of looks like an organ doesn't it?  Actually, with the back hinged treadles, it's a breeze to weave on this loom.  I love it.

So after the reed was sleyed, I changed the beater cap around, flipped up the reed, brought up the beater and put the reed in place.  Then I put the front beam back in place and was ready to tie on.

There has also been some project knitting which will be blog fodder another time.  And I've been drooling over reading through The Fleece and Fiber Source Book..  I still can't believe they are able to offer this book for such a low price.  Deb Robson blogged about the gestation and incubation of this book, creating a lot of anticipation among us fiber folk.  The end result does not disappoint.  Put this one on your list.

Okay...must go weave and do some other random stuff.  Whatever can be done in today's 95 degree temps.

3 comments:

  1. Is she beautiful! And certainly sounds like it was worth the wait. Are you smitten or what? ;)
    I hear parts of the country are getting slammed with a terrible heat wave, stay cool as best you and don't let those new flowers get too wilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your loom is a thing of beauty - thanks for posting the pictures. Since I still haven't tied up my other four treadles, I'm not feeling too much envy. I've been told to raise my jacks and put a book under them to warp. I love these online interactions because they have certainly helped me become content with the loom I have.

    My Artisat was a spontaneous purchase, and while it served me well, I'm happy to see it living in a teaching environment. I think I'm finally done with loom envy since I don't have space for a Union.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The loom is beautiful indeed. Good photos. Sounds like you've been very busy, but productive!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...