Friday, June 24, 2011

Ennui

def.: a feeling of listlessness and general dissatisfaction resulting from lack of activity or excitement

That's where I am right nowJust floating along in a state of ennui.  We've had humid rainy weather for several days.  Despite 4-5 days in the 90's and the passing of the solstice this month, it seems we've never truly found summer.

I have things to do:
Just this much more to weave on my project for the exhibit at MLH conference in August.  For whatever reason, I cannot get my butt to sit down on the loom bench and stay there to finish it.  It's like my butt and the bench have the same magnetic pole and when I try to put them together, my butt ends up somewhere else altogether.

This has happened to me before, and I'm sure I've whined  blogged about it before, but am too lazy to search the archives for evidence.  One of the symptoms that ennui is about to set in is this:

I start queuing up reading material.  Anything and everything that strikes my fancy lands on the "too read" pile.  I buy it (as though I am personally trying to save Borders from going under), I check it out of the library, I put it on hold if it's not in the library, I request it on inter-library loan if it's not in the library's collection, and then I go to the Midwest Collaborative and go through the whole process with electronic media.  It's obsessive, compulsive, and more than a little crazy.  What is it with me and books?  I've had this "thing" my whole life and have passed it on to my son.  And judging by the stacks of books over, under, around, and through dh's night stand (see below) he has caught this contagion as well:
I'm not sure why his books all come with their own little ribbons in them.  At least one of them has been swallowed by the vacuum cleaner...but that's a story for another post.

But the real evidence of ennui is this:
See that bookmark on the top book?  I am that close to finishing One Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and I'm sitting here blogging instead of reading.  I love the book, the writing is delicious, and the story is interesting, but I just don't it want to end....yet.

And now I find myself with a few more pictures to post and a bunch of other things I thought I might say...but I just don't feel like it.  I'm done with this post for now.  Guess I'll go wallow....

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:05 PM

    I am a bibliophile and have always been one. As a preteen the household punishment was that I was that I was not allowed to go to the library that week...

    And forever I will not finish a great book unless I already have determined that there is another equally great book ready to go=at times that might mean the last few pages aren't read for several weeks..

    Of your stack I heard a review on NPR recently and State of Wonder sounds like a great read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ennui: it just happens. Nothing much to do about it but get through it. I think it's the body/mind response to a lot going on for a long time. Who knows! ;)
    I just finished book 4 of Game of Thrones only to realize book 5 has not been released yet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank yu for the laughs!

    This post was delightful, honest, and one that I can relate to. I HATE HUMIDITY! (we have had the same slop lately)...it takes the wind out of my sails...leaves me in the doldrums....

    And...I LOVE your summer reading list. Did I mention that the foundation of our cabin is made of books? That nightstand looks very familiar...those ribbons are a nice touch!

    ... And BTW...get yer butt on that bench!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would so love to spend time at your house!

    (the book and stash stalker???)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny - I do that book-stack thing too. But I tend to re-read instead...have just finished a run of "Villette", "Wuthering Heights", and "Watership Down".

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...