Thursday, June 30, 2011

Done

The "two faced" project is finished:
The warp is 20/2 space dyed tencel.  The pattern weft is 8/2 tencel in burgundy and medium blue.  And the tabby weft is 60/2's silk in black-navy.  I cannot get the camera to give the true colors, the reds seem to push the blue toward purple in the photo's. 
 The sett is 37.5 EPI in a 15 dent reed.  The summer & winter pattern is woven at about 45 PPI, includes pattern and tabby.  The finished scarf is 69" long, not including fringe and the width is 9". 
The purpose of the study was to create a reversible fabric with two distinct faces.  This fabric does that by giving a positive and negative image as seen above.

I chose to use Summer and Winter because it's a very traditional weave structure that brings to mind coverlets and such, much in the way weavers view Overshot patterns.  I like to take these very old fashioned "traditional" structures and play with the blocks and color ways to make them look more contemporary.  Lisa commented on an earlier post that the sample from this project looks like old 8 bit video game graphics.  So I guess this project is a continuation of a theme.

I'm in the process of assembling the swatch pages for the rest of the study group, then I will consider this project done.  The exhibit is in August at MLH conference, then in September we begin a new two year study of tied weaves. 

6 comments:

  1. Woot! A finished project (I don't have many of those)!

    It looks beautiful and drapey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an absolutely stunning scarf! Very inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous work of art!
    Your weaving continues to amaze and impress. Especially your dedication to continually master new skills and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've said this before, but I just love S&W. Beautiful color choice too. Love those purples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a word - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...