Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reflections on communication and marriage

Like many of you, I watched the Royal Wedding yesterday.  In fact I watched certain clips several times.  I'm not sure why, since royalty doesn't mean anything in particular to me.  But it was just one of those things I had to do to quell my curiosity.  Of course I wanted to see "the dress".  But I also wanted to see the faces and see what might be seen there.....love, arrogance, humility, grace, commitment, determination.....and of course, youth and beauty.
However all of the time that I was looking at this:
I was seeing this:
I wish them well.  I truly do, but boy I wouldn't trade places with either of them for all the world.  IMO a successful marriage requires a lot of privacy and patience.

That said, I will proceed to breach some marital privacy and exhibit my lack of patience:

The kitchen is pretty much painted but is not yet reassembled.  One of the things I want to do is put upholstered cornices over the windows out there.  To that end I brought home a selection of fabrics to view "in situ" and to get the hubster's opinion.

Here are the fabric swatches, in no particular order:
(Disclaimer.... all of them really do coordinate well with the new paint color, despite how the colors reproduced in the photo's.  Notice that the ginger peach paint looks like 6 different colors in the photos!)

So, I hung the fabric swatches in various places in the kitchen and when dh came home from work I asked him which ones he would choose.
His answer:  "The geometric one."  

?!*?!?*!!?!?!  It was clear from the look on his face that there was a particular one he preferred, but I ask you:  Other than the linear stripes, which of these samples is not geometric?

When I pressed him further he said, "Well, I don't want fish eyes all over the kitchen."
Okay, that ruled out one of the geometric patterns that I kind of liked for the variety of potential accessory colors, but thought might be a little "too 2011" for someone who doesn't re-decorate every 2-3 years.

So I pressed a little further: to him the "geometrics" were the plaids.  Uhm...well...those are probably the ones that are least likely to be called geometric.  They are also the ones that I brought home only because I thought he might like them....but me? Not so much.

So, I think we're going to go with the last fabric.  It is, after all...geometric...right?
Did I mention that a sense of humor and compromise are also required in a successful marriage?
 Wills and Kate, good luck with all of that!





3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:59 PM

    My choice was 3 and 5 before I even finished reading your post.Your choice is very nice too.
    I've been thinking about re-doing my bedroom. It's way past due ! Not sure of color but am leaning towards blue and yellow, maybe gingham check---we'll see.That will need new carpet, Oh Dear here we go $$$$$.
    Have fun with the finishing touches.
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I kinda liked the one above it. It's probably a little too institutional when I think about it. I'm glad I don't have to weigh in. This is why I don't decorate or re - decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one you chose - I saw that and went....oooooohhhhh, I could so live with that!

    I watched the wedding and thought - yuck! No privacy!

    OTOH, I wonder what sheep will be named for them - and if it will be from the same flock as Camelia's and Charles' sheep. Cotswold?

    There's a perk for you, eh?

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...