Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If anyone asks.....

what I gave up for Lent, just tell them my sanity.

I am in the process of scraping wallpaper from the kitchen walls in preparation for patching, priming, then painting:
This is two days worth of work.  It's going to take awhile.

While swabbing and scraping I am listening to A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitx.  I like this review.  We covered Mexico, Central and South America in 6th grade social studies with Mrs. Keough.  That woman made the Spanish entrance into the New World a fascinating story and there are very few characters in Horwitz's account that we didn't cover in her class.  The fact that I recall them this many years later (about 35 years ago) really says something about the passion that she had for her subject.  Hats off to you, Mrs. Keough, where ever you may be.  Much of the Viking information Horwitz covers was new to me, though.

In a curious intersection of narratives, I started listening to this book while finishing Barbara Kingsolver's
The Lacuna (I've saved you a click and linked you to my favorite review).  So Cortez was invading Mexico both in fiction and history in my literary life.  I recommend both books.

Meanwhile...trash has continued to litter my day.  On my way out to the car this AM, I just missed stepping in a "fur ball" deposited by my car by one of the neighbors' indoor/outdoor cats (those pesky neighbors again!).  Upon returning from picking up the trash at the end of our lane, I stepped in a second deposit of dismembered vole that I didn't see until it was tracked into the house.   It was pretty "fresh", so that little foray must have happened while I was out.

Not much fiber happening around here just now.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Valerie, My absolute sympathies on scraping wall paper. It's a horrid job. A steamer *might* make it go faster, but then again, you most likely will get steam burns on your arms....The only good way to remove wall paper is to hire it out and who can afford that!? I know I never could.
    Vole guts eh? At least the neighbors cat goes home. Mine comes in and pukes the guts on either the bed or the sofa. Then the dogs all want to see what intriguing
    substance the cat has for them. EEEEEEWWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie,

    I do not envy you stripping wallpaper. Not a fun job. Must be the week for animal surprises. Our house dog Molly (who always is a very good indoor doggie), was sick during the night. We woke up this morning to surprises all over the house. Now I really do need to get my carpets cleaned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize Horwitz has a new book out. I've enjoyed him the past - thanks for the heads up. I think he's married to Geraldine Brooks, or someone like that. Anyway, I think that would be an interesting household!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you're working on a kitchen project too, but not as much fun as mine. I love wallpapering, but I hate stripping it! That's one of the worst jobs ever. I wanted to thank you for answering my query about everyone else's kitchens! Yours sounds like one of the most organized so far. That is one of my number one goals too. How well I achieve it remains to be seen. :)

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...