Friday, December 31, 2010

Birthday !



Thanks to everyone for your kind comments yesterday. It does seem that I frequently have a day like that somewhere around my birthday. But today is a new day and a better one! Well, how can you not like a day that brings you dark chocolate with ancho chiles wrapped in a purple ribbon?

It's a bit strange to have a New Years Eve birthday and I always wonder if I would be a completely different person if born one day later. You know....
like, what if I were the baby instead of the old man?  Ah well....it's the old man that I am and always will be.

I do have the Navajo Churro fleece spun up and photo's of the process to post.  But the past two days have been way too dark to get a decent picture of the finished yarns which are a medium to dark brown.  So I'll get those up in a day or two.  I think the next breed after that will be Karakul.


There will be some changes in the coming year.  One having to do with the new loom that was ordered for me as a Christmas gift from dh (yep, the guy I maligned yesterday about the CO detector...we'll blame that on my inner old man.).  Am so excited to be getting a new 32" 12 shaft Macomber loom. with a double warp beam!  They are made to order, so mine won't be arriving until late January early February.  I'm sure the new loom will bring about changes in my weaving.

There's one more finished item to add to the 2010 list:

Socks from the stash.  The ball band from this yarn is long gone.  But the socks are very current and are on my (happy) feet right now.

Over the years I've known several people who choose a word to embody the coming year.  My friend, Judy, reported that a word would usually come to her sometime toward the end of December and she carried that word with her throughout the year.  Bonnie has chosen the word Simplicity for 2011.  She has a link to this site that helps you select a word.

Ever since Judy told us about her word thing, I always think about it, but nothing meaningful ever came to me.  This year, I've been thinking about how much fiber and fiber related stuff I have.  Much of it I've purchased.  But after awhile, fiber stuff starts finding you and the accumulation begins.  So I was thinking about making 2011 the year of the stash.  But I don't want to set hard and fast rules that will just tempt me to break them.  Instead I want to set goals.  I would like to spend this year using the limits of what I already own to inspire my creativity.  The socks above are the beginning of that.  There's also a new hat for ds on the needles.  He picked the yarn from my stash.....yarn that has been there for maybe 10-12 years.

So as I have started on this "work from the stash" adventure the word Sufficient comes to mind.  I know that the stuff I currently own (unspun fiber, knitting yarns, weaving yarns, and fiber books) is sufficient for me to create anything I care to design and make by spinning, weaving, and/or knitting in the coming year.  And it is often said that boundaries inspire creativity.  So wish me luck, join me if you like, and let's see what sort of fabric a life of sufficiency creates!

Well dear readers, wishing you all the best in the New Year.  Let's close out 2010 with a little bit of soul, thanks to  the late Sam Cooke.  I hope 2011 brings the changes of your hopes and dreams.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Valerie. My Mom's b-day is today too.
    How exciting on the new loom. And the socks are great!
    Happy Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have great things ahead in 2011!!! Happy New Year!!!

    Those socks are a very cool color. I like them very much.

    And a new loom....so cool!

    Thanks so much for your email about my problem draft. I don't totally understand it, but I will get back to it early next week when I'm not busy being so festive...and I will work on understanding it. I thought those drafts were interesting, and now I feel even more intrigued after what you said!

    Cheers!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, you're getting a 12 shaft Macomber! Sweet.

    Your word Sufficient is an excellent one. My mom lived by the verse, "My grace is sufficient for you...", she also loved this one, "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed."

    Here's to a year of realizing what we have is sufficient. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best Wishes on your Birthday and for a Happy New Year! Instead of the old man I think of the emerging new baby on the eve of the new year. A wonderful adventure coming with a new loom too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy BD!! Love the "sufficient" on so many levels. I can relate. I know I will buy more Plain and Fancy yarn and more Shetland fleeces but I know now how much I can stand to have in stash. "Comprehension" must be my word - on many levels, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Valerie. It's that time of year to celebrate it with introspection. I loved this post and am going to think on it for a while. I like the idea of identifying my goals and assigning a word. Simplicity is a great one - I like the sentiment that goes with it. I have already been thinking about that. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...