Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Colors of August and Circuit Board Table Runner

Finished at last!  I first blogged about this project here .  The green and gold pieces in that post were the swatches.  I decided to tough it out and weave accoriding to my original design, though at times it seemed might go blind in the process.  Until the 50 pick  treadling sequence was established in my brain, it seemed that I unwove as much as I wove.

Here's a shot with the inspiration for the design:

The draft in the Bertha Gray Hayes book reminded me of an older gold (copper) and green circuit board as soon as I saw it.  Of course, things have changed and circuit boards are more green and silver these days.  Oh well.

Here it is the last day of August, and my colors of August are limited.  It's been a very hot and busy month. 

The trees are starting to turn:

The impatiens are about maxed out:


And things are going to seed:
 This is a Jack (er.... Jane?) in the Pulpit.

And so I leave you with this sentimental leaf downed from a cottonwood tree:

Looks like we are getting ready to bring on autumn. Next month: Fresh apples and cider. Yum!!
Head over to Sue's for more of a "Colors of August" tour.

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty runner and it looks so well woven. Great selvages. I can certainly see the inspiration from the circuit board!
    Great colors, love the cottonwood leaf. Frame it maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet "heart" picture - that would make a nice greeting card, don't you think?

    Yes - on Sunday when we drove down the street to our church, there were so many leaves along the street and there was just a bit of a nip in the air - fall is definitely on it's way - we got 3/4 of an inch of rain today! T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning of autumn is always a bit sad, I think. A good reason for leaves and people to get sentimental!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table runner came out great!! Very cool project.

    Your August photos capture some of the wilting and heat and signs of fall to come. Love the heart-shaped leaf!

    I've been away from home for 2 weeks, so I'll be interested to see if there are signs of fall when I get back. I know that it's been very hot there lately.

    Thanks for sharing your colors of August!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful heart leaf and those impatiens are still spectacular. They must have been incredible at their peak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table running absolutely astounds me by its technicality. I hope one day to understand some of that. I do get the photos, however, and since autumn is my favorite season, I always warm to signs that it's upon us. Great catch on the leaf~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for all of your thoughts on double weave purses!! I really appreciate your prompt and thorough answer. I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about this stuff!

    I can tell I'm progressing as a weaver because I can sometimes ask questions and understand the answers without having to look things up. I remember when I couldn't even ask questions because I didn't know enough terminology yet.

    I'll be double weaving tomorrow for sure! Thanks so much for your help!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! that's really impressive doubleweave Val! Looks alot more complicated than 4 shaft... great work.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...