Monday, June 28, 2010

Someday....

I would like to do this.

I was raised on a heavy diet of fairy tales and nursery rhymes and can recite poems and songs that many of my contemporaries never heard of.  Some wish to remain that way once I do recite them.

One of the very best parts of being a parent was the unabashed ability to revisit the world of kiddie lit.  My son never picked up on the nursery rhymes and songs, but he did pick up on the stories.  He too had (has*) an insatiable appetite for folk tales, fairy tales, fables, and lore.   (*He has The Tales of Uncle Remus and Volume 2 which he read over and over again, and subsequently accused Mr. Disney of plagiarism....I suspect that he still reads from time to time and I'd be surprised if he didn't have some  memorized...dialect and all.)

So yes....I would love to take this journey and imagine the Bremen Town Musicians making their way down the road.  Or go to see the castle of Briar Rose. 

I might even take my 1977 copy of The Uses of Enchantment along to plum the depths of the fairy tale psyche.

And after the German Grimm tour, we might even head over to Denmark for tales of Hans Christian Andersen

Someday.....right after we go to Scotland for the Scotch Whiskey Distilleries Tour.  (Though I suspect we might need a stiff scotch after some of those Andersen tales, like The Steadfast Tin Soldier.)

Someday....

3 comments:

  1. LOL, Valerie, one need not have a child for children's books, I'm living proof. I would love to have a fairy tale inspired someday adventure, maybe not of the Brother's Grimm variety though... You might like Ellen Datlow's A Wolf at the Door and Other Retold Fairy Tales. She has a newer one out too Swan Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love fairy tales and as a child was introduced to the lesser-known fables.

    There's a book you might like - very funny and a little odd - by Roger Zelazny: "A Night in the Lonesome October". Lots of subtle allusions to folk tales, myth, and literature. It always gives one such a smug and satisfied feeling to catch something that others certainly won't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Val - these post stirs up all sorts of memories.My love of stories and fairy tales was instilled in me by my grandmother who was a schoolteacher on the Saskatchewan prairies. She was a lover of literature, and would enthusiastically recite all sorts of stories,nursery rhymes and poetry to us. A recitation of "The Cremation of Sam McGee" (Robert Service) "The Highwayman" (Alfred Noyes) and "The Lady of Shallot" (Alfred Lord Tennyson) are some of my fondest memories of my time spent with her as a child. Thank you for this...

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...