Thursday, June 24, 2010

Er....uhm...

About those spindles....

Awhile ago, Sara wrote a post about making spindles from donut beads and chopsticks here.  Well, I had a few donut beads, a couple of them made from resin and a few more from semi-precious stones.  So on Monday afternoon I made up some spindles.

I didn't test drive them before I posted those pictures.  The spindles with the orange and blue translucent whorls are the resin donuts.  They they weigh about .75 oz. each and spin okay once there's a little bit of a cop on them.  Before that they have a bit of a wobble to them.  The larger green stone spindle weighs about 1.3 oz.  It spins the best of the 5 spindles but not nearly as good as my favorite Turkish Delight spindle from Jenkins Woodworks.

The two smaller spindles are no more.  They didn't spin worth a diddly.  Earlier I made some support spindles with similar semiprecious stones and they spin up cashmere, quiviut, and cotton blends like a dream.  But these two were just too small to get up much speed in top whorl spindle.  So for now, I'm done making spindles.  It is fun to make them and see how they spin (or don't spin, as the case may be).  But it's much more fun to turn fiber into yarn.

Am in a kind of discouraged mood today.  Not sure why that should be.  I finally pushed up into a full  urdva-dhanurasana pose in this morning's yoga class two times in a row.... a goal I've been working toward for awhile.  And tonight we start our hooping class.  So I should be feeling victorious today.  In reality...not so much.  Meh...

1 comment:

  1. M always checks the donuts for balance before he buys them or turns them into spindles. His spindles (even the tiniest ones) spin like dreams. And if you use the grommet and don't glue it, try sliding the whorl up and down the shaft. Sometimes there's a sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...