Thursday, June 17, 2010

Colors of June, southeast Michigan

June is the month for lilies here in the upper midwest.

Just a plain old day lily blooming by the rock wall.


A Stella D'oro Lily not to be confused with Stella D'Oro breadsticks
These became really popular a few years ago.  They are used extensively in landscaping around commercial buildings.  They are extremely hardy and have a long blooming period, except for the ones in my yard which last only a couple weeks.
This one reminds me of sisters in a photo booth:

Then there are lamb's ears:

These will need to be cut back pretty severely after the blooming is done.  Otherwise they will take over everywhere.

Very few gardens in Michigan can avoid being held hostage by hostas:

The leaves on these plants are the size of large dinner plates.
Here are the flowers close up.
These six big  hostas are out of reach of the deer.  I have 3 other hostas with purple flowers, but we don't usually get to see the flowers before the deer eat them.  The deer have also pretty much mowed down my echinacea.

Remember that Girl Scout saying:  "Leaves of three, let it be."
Sneaky how this one is hiding in the other ivy.
We've had plenty of this around the past few years.  You can read about it here.
I keep a spray bottle of Round-Up in the garage and zap the poison ivy when I notice it.  Both dh and I have had severe cases of poison ivy in the past and prefer not to go that route again.

I'm really not much of a gardener.  It seems that I have a "bipolar thumb".  If I plant something it will:
  •  wither up and die within days.
  • or grow to invasive species proportions.
As evidence of this, let me show you my Mother's Day plant from 4 weeks ago:

Ds bought this plant for me because it was interesting looking and compact.  He didn't want to get something like the aloe plant that I had a few years ago.  The aloe plant that started out on the window sill, outgrew its pot every couple of months, then finally had to be moved to the church lobby, where it has become the aloe "tree".

4 short weeks ago, this plant just had the four leaf branches at the bottom.  It rested happily on the plant stand between the looms in front of a south facing window.  Then those four new branches started to grow.  It was like the Little Shop of Horrors.  It felt like I could almost see those four new limbs grow while I sat at the loom.  Yesterday I moved it out to the patio.  The tag on the plant has no name, just "tropical foilage".  I think it's funny, but it has totally creeped out my son. 

Okay...now go over to Life Looms Large to see Sue's colors of June and links to all the others who play this monthly game from around the world.

7 comments:

  1. Wow - your Mother's Day plant is really something!

    I might be weird, but I wish my hosta wouldn't flower. I like the leaves so much better. (Surprising that deer don't come that close to our house....or maybe not with our ferocious guard dog Bailey!)

    We have very similar plants thriving here right now. I just sprayed our poison ivy yesterday. I thought I eradicated it last year, but no such luck.

    Thanks for showing your colors of June!!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning picture of the flowers, will definitely make my day. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers! Your hostas are beautiful, too. I love the "sisters"! Of all the daylilies, Stella D'oro are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Valerie, I haven't visited in a long while, mostly because I've been busy with non-fiber pursuits. I wanted to come see your June colors though, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite blog event of the month. I love seeing that June looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that The Shepherd will know what your Mother's day plant is - I'll try to remember to ask him :-) I think your garden looks just fine. T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hostas... No deer here in the Neterlands. Plenty of snails and slugs, though. I love the leaves, but most of the time there are too many holes in them! Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...