Friday, April 16, 2010

Mystery Project Finished...

Back in February I showed a piece of some mystery knitting.  The project has been finished, sent off, and received by the intended recipient.  So now I'll show it to you:

 This shows the border.

This shows the blanket.(Ravelry link for details.)

Back in November my childhood best friend let me know that her daughter-in-law was expecting her first grandchild.  Instantly I remembered many long summer afternoons where we bundled up baby dolls and tucked them in toy "buggies", or cradles, or even shoe boxes.  How we had those fake plastic dress-up high heels with rhinestones and elastic straps that we fit over our white ankle socks, then would trot around with the half bundled baby doll flung over our shoulder.  Or just as likely, the baby doll was in more of a quarterback's carry position.  We had tea parties with dandelions, water, and any other weed or seed that captured our imaginations that day.  Sometimes we even had real cookies: Oreo's or their vanilla counterpart, Hydrox cookies.

These were the memories I contemplated while knitting this up.  Added to that the musing of how quickly the time has passed that we are now at "grandma" age. 

That friend's name?  Vickie.  Yep, that's right....the dynamic duo:  Vickie and Val.

The baby is due in May.  I feel like I get extra points for having it done ahead of time.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful baby blanket Val! It will make a beautiful family treasure... lucky mom to be getting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vickie6:14 AM

    Your little musings plus getting the blanket and thinking that in 5 short weeks I'll be a grandma brought tears to my eyes. The blanket is beautiful and so delicate...just like I know she will be!!! Thanks Val. Love, Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! What a treasure and made with such warm thoughts and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abolutely gorgeous. What a treasure this will be long after the baby is wrapped in the warmth and love it brings. You and rhinestone high heels? Never would have guessed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely!

    Beautiful work...and so many blessings locked in those stitches...lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val and Vickie, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:27 PM

    What a beautiful gift for Vicky's first Grandchild. I didn't know about the baby until I read your post. Your musings made me tear up and so did Vicky's comment.I remember so well and where did all those years go
    Love you gals.
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful gift. It's more than just beautifully exquisite, it's shared memories and the work of your hands - an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...