Thursday, March 04, 2010

March Forth....

Things are looking up.  We finally have a month with good celebration days!  For example today, March 4, is National Grammar Day.  (Maybe I should stop this post right now, before I make any more grammatical errors.)

Aside from Grammar Day (This link is a little different and entertaining, but I still say 'irregardless' is not a proper word.)   I've loved this date since the day we studied homonyms, homographs, and homophones in elementary school in 1964.  "What day of the year sounds like a military command?"   You know the date.  It was a Tuesday, in case you are wondering.

Soon we will have National Pi Day, a day of note with two engineers in the house.  Three days later will be St. Patrick's Day (no link for that one, you already know about it.)  Then on March 20, at 17:32 we will celebrate the Vernal Equinox: the first day of spring!

It has been a long winter.  Over the last two weeks I wore holes in three pairs of hand knit gloves while shoveling and blowing snow.  That just isn't right.  Who wants to knit new gloves in March?

Well, I may not feel like knitting new gloves, but I certainly do feel like spinning some yarn for new gloves.

Here's the reason:

This week I've had the luxury of  sitting, sipping tea, and knitting  while Judith MacKenzie imparted wisdom of all sorts related to the spinning wheel.  If you've ever taken a class with Judith you know exactly what I mean.  She is like a cup brimming over with fiber information.  And I love the chance to be the paper towel soaking up what spills out.

I have no connection with Interweave Press or Judith (other than being a former SOAR student), but I will say this:  If you are a spinner, you need this 2 dvd set.  It is one I will watch over and over again.....right after I clean and lubricate my wheels, now that I've had proper instruction!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, it sounds like something our guild should buy for the library. I certainly would like to see it - thanks. I've enjoyed Judith on several occasions, once for a week in a small retreat setting. I know exactly what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it has such a catchy title too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I missed this post! When people ask me "When is my birthday?" I always say, "It is only day of the year that is a complete sentence and a military command." I never knew it was National Grammar Day. But did you know up until 1960, they used to inaugurate the president on March 4. The early Americans must have had a sense of humor. Hanging around Judith is everything you say and more.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...