Saturday, January 16, 2010

Responding to comment...

Nestra asked about The Primary Structure of Fabrics (textile museum link) and the Bertha Gray Hayes (Weavezine link) books.

The Primary Structure of Fabrics is a bit like an encyclopedia of the various ways of making cloth by hand and simple machine.  I would suggest finding a copy on interlibrary loan to browse over before making the leap on a purchase.  It won't be very helpful in teaching one to weave, but it will certainly whet the appetite of the textile junkie to play with fibers in different ways.

The Bertha Gray Hayes Design book has a wealth of 4 harness overshot drafts which are fascinating to browse through and takes the "colonial hearth and home" edge off traditional overshot weaves.  I think it would be a great book for any weaver to have in their library.  One limitation of the book is that the threadings are shown with only one tie-up and treadling.  So it's not like Marguerite Davison's or Anne Dixon's books, both of which I would suggest before the Bertha Gray Hayes book if you are just starting out your weaving library.

Hope that helps.

BTW...I've had to go to comment moderation because my old posts were being used in what appeared to be an illicit way.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Happy weekend!

3 comments:

  1. This is the second time today I've read mention of Marguerite Davison's book. I thought I owned it but just checked and it's the van der Hoogt. I do have the Dixon and am using something different from it in every set of towels. It's really fun! Do I need Davison too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting info on both of those books. I was particularly curious about the first one.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews, there are so many weving books it is tough to know which ones to seek out.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...