Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Random Busy

Over the weekend I made some support spindles:



I like support spindles for short fibers like cotton and cashmere. These were made from large, flat, semi-precious stone donut pendant beads .  They are shown here, nestled in the cashmere that they are designed to spin.  My favorite is the speckled one in the middle.  It spins like a dream and weighs 20g.  The biggest disappointment is the lapis on on the left.  The stone is not well balanced, and though it spins okay....it's just okay.  The one on the left has neat sparkles in it and has a pretty nice spin too.

Next:  A drum roll please:


Finally the cast off row for the Queen Silvia shawl!  Stitch count on the final row was 832 stitches.  I'm about one third of the way through this cast off and will probably finish it during The Good Wife or NCIS if I decide to put off writing Christmas cards yet again.

Over the weekend this warp was measured, threaded and tied-on:


For this workshop:


which will wrap up tomorrow.  More about that later.

And last but not least, I learned a new word today:
legerdemain - def. skillfulness in using ones hands particularly for deception as in conjuring.
The interesting part is that I learned this word while reading my first full length graphic book (not a novel, since it's a biography).  Funny that one should learn a new big word from a book narrated in pictures.  Guess that will teach me to look down my nose at new art forms.  The book is Fun Home: A Family Tragic Comic by Alison Bechdel.  Her ability to communicated complex and nuanced information with illustration and words is fascinating to me.

Next up: a post about weaving. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely spindles! (sitting on my fingers so they don't twitch!) I'd like watch over your shoulder and see how you are spinning (do you use a bowl?)

    832 for Queen Silvia !! Yipes!!

    ...interesting word...would you use it in a sentence, plez? (heh heh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those spindles are so pretty that it makes me want to be a spinner! Love the idea of using stones!!

    I don't even want to think about a row with 832 stitches in it!!

    Looking forward to hearing about your workshop!! The warp is gorgeous! (And is that a big mural on the wall in the workshop room?)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...