Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ghosts of Christmas Past

Last night I woke in the middle of the night in a cold sweat with the realization that in two months it will be Christmas.  It was like a twisted version of Scrooge's visit from Marley's ghost.  Instead of floating back through time to wonderful, romantic, cozy Christmases, I was taken back through the last four years of Christmas as I experienced them.  In reality, none of them were pretty.

This was the lead up to Christmas 2005, which involved multiple flat tires, a traffic ticket, keys lost in a drop box requiring another encounter with the police and a gnomelike locksmith. We followed that up with a 1,645 mile road trip to collect the three of us up and get us to family visits in Pa.

Christmas 2006 brought 8 inlaw house guests and one flu virus for 3 days.  Need I say more?

Christmas 2007 brought a miserable chest cold and another devastating family experience that I won't share on the blog since I'm just a bit player in that drama.  Trust me, it was tough going.

Christmas 2008 brought its own fresh hell of 12" of snow, high winds, and four days with no electricity, running water, or heat.  Need I remind you that these are the darkest, shortest, coldest days of the year?

I do tend to think that most experiences are what you make of them.  But people, read that list....there is no "MERRY" in there.

So while many of you may be selecting greeting cards.  Or perhaps you are busily knitting away on some cherished gift for a loved one.  As you start baking cookies and thinking about gift wrap.  And as you twine those evergreens into wreaths and pull out the holly-berry candles......

I will most likely be:
  • checking the spare tire.
  • stocking up on nonperishable pantry items.
  • getting in a store of drinking water...and some extra to flush toilets.
  • doing an inventory of batteries, flashlights, and candles.
  • checking the supply of Immodium and Tamiflu
  • making sure there is kerosene for the kerosene heater and wood for the fireplace.
In other words....it'll be more like preparation for an apocalypse.

So there you go....that's my story and I'm stuck with it.

7 comments:

  1. OH, I can SO relate to this post...and THAT is all I'm saying on the subject....

    ...but yu are not alone ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has Christmases like that!! (I'm still not thinking about Christmas yet though....no early preparation for me!!)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always hope Christmas will be peaceful and cheerful. It never is.

    It may be asking a lot but here's to good health, sane relatives, just enough snow so that it feels like Christmas without trapping us inside for a week (or enough to be trapped if the relatives are not behaving and they are somewhere else), and electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the curse be broken this year! You are due a peaceful, pleasant Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's just brilliant, I love it. (The post, not the litany of pain.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got the feeling you like sudoku.
    I just want to let you know there is an interesting sudoku site at www.domo-sudoku.com
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's why I've become such a fan of Thanksgiving. It's rich with family without the weight of expectations.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...