Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Apples, Afghans, and Away....

September in Michigan brings ripe apples and fresh cider. The cider mills typically open the week after Labor Day and close for Thanksgiving. This morning I made my first cider and Michigan-grown apple run:

The knitting is not actually an afghan, but a prayer shawl. I made much progress on it on our Labor Day weekend trip to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula to stay in Tobermory, Ontario. Not to be confused with Tobermory, Scotland which we have also visited, and long to return to one day.

This trip to Canada used to be an annual pilgrimage for us from 1977 to about 1995. We looked in our travel journal and discovered that our last trip here was 2003. Too long! More people from all over the world have discovered this remote natural area, so it was more populated than we remember. But the nature is still lovely:


Photos above and below are from my Saturday morning solitary hike on Burnt Point loop (the link is to an exquisite Flickr photo of the interior of the trail. It was too dark for me to get such a good one.) I had the entire 3.7 km. to myself. The silence and beauty were stunning!

On Sunday, five of us took the water taxi over to Flower Pot Island to do some hiking and exploring:

Here's the little flower pot:
For scale, here's my adult son in front of the other flower pot:
And tho' inuksuit
are not culturally appropriate to lower Canada, it seems that many can't help themselves when there are rocks and trails to mark:
But can you blame them when they are the official logo for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver?

It was a great weekend with sun, fun, friends, and 10W30 Canadian Lager !

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:14 PM

    I just checked to see if you were back yet.
    Really enjoyed your post.Glad you had a great time. Sounds like you went with other people. I'm guessing the Scuba club.
    some of the pictures reminded me of Nova Scotia. I guess that is a province of Canada---dahh (-:
    I bought some mums but no cider and apples yet. Where did the summer go?
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the attraction. That your husband and son are dwarfed - phew, that's one humongous rock. I'm with you in the appreciation of solitary opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a great time!

    Beautiful area! Makes me want to pull up a rock and watch the water!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...