Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Quityti

That was the security word that came up when I posted a comment to Sharon's Blog earlier.

I do sometimes think their are quirky coincidences in those words. QUITYTI? It's been a long time...have I quit blogging? I don't know. I do know that there hasn't been much I've felt like blogging about. There has been even less that I've felt like knitting, spinning or weaving. Just not in the mood.

Is it me or is knitting on the wane as a fashionable activity? Not that I knit because it's fashionable. No one does something for almost 50 years because it's fashionable. (Has anything stayed fashionable that long!?) Maybe I just need a break.

So what have I been doing now that the flower beds are filled? Reading. There have been several great books cross my path in the past few weeks. Let me list them for you. If you want reviews, use my Librarything link to your upper right. If I haven't reviewed them, someone else has. The first two get top recommendations from me.
  • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.....a saga type book. If you liked Cider House Rules (John Irving) and Evidence of Things Unseen (Marianne Wiggins) you will like this book.
  • Vagrants by Yi Yun Lee.....Absolutely exquisite writing about post cultural revolution China.
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society...dual authorship. Epistolary format...read this past Sunday afternoon (It's a quick read)
  • White Tiger by Aravind Adiga....winner of the Man-Booker. Disturbing and humorous.
  • Coming to Our Senses by Jon Kabat-Zin....regarding mindfulness meditation. Very long and dense, but helping with my monkey mind.
Currently reading The Selected Worsk of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen. It's different..with lots of notes and drawings in the margins. However, the story is currently dragging....I'm hoping it picks up in a few pages.

The other thing I've been doing is hanging out at SparkPeople. I haven't eaten any processed or refined food for over 5 weeks. Of course that's easy to do right now as all the fresh cool weather fruits and vegetables are in. According to my home cholesterol tester, my total cholesterol is down from 214 to 158. Personally....I think that's a pretty respectable drop. (Oh yeah....I've been increasing my exericise too....walking, yoga, pilates).

Can you tell I'm in a battle of wills with my prescription pad toting internist? We'll see which one of us is more stubborn. (However, it does take a tad more effort to log and calculate every morsel of food than it does to pull a prescription pad out of one's pocket.......just sayin')

Ciao for now.

6 comments:

  1. I heard the "Spivet" author interviewed on NPR. Since our library didn't buy it, I probably won't either, since all the books you listed are on my wanna read list. I popped into the library thing the other day and see that there are changes. I look forward to using it more when I get more time the end of this month.

    I go through spells of blogging and then no blogging. I seem to have something to post about once a week - not sure it's worth posting but I just like the writing process - and I like to see what others are doing to see if I get any ideas. I still have no desire to knit lace.

    If you posted nothing but books, that would be fine with me! I just finished "Rethinking Thin" by Gina Kolata today. I've read her before and like how accessible her science writing is. I can tell you that I have a whole new respect for the struggles of dieters and obesity, and not much respect for the "diet industry."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every summer it seems to me that the internet knitting mania subsides. People pick it up again in the fall, but...yes sometimes I feel it's on its way back out.

    My word verification is
    glumb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny4:22 AM

    There's a new food supplement that I've read about: ateronon. They've trialled it and it somehow gets rids of your bad cholesterol in 2 months or so. It's made from lycopene and I'm hoping my SIL will agree to taking it. BTW it can be taken with medication as it's not a drug as such, just a food supplement.
    HTH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting lasted as a trend much longer than I thought it would. I tend to think the growth of the internet kept it going for longer than it would have otherwise. Many are moving on to other crafts, but knitting picked up some major talents along the way.

    Have you read Verghese's memoirs, My Own Country and The Tennis Partner? They are both *wonderful*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't quityti. When you don't have anything to say it is fine, because when you do post, it is well worth the read :-)

    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society sounds interesting!

    Good work on the cholesterol !!
    Keep the script pad in the pocket!

    ps...my word verification below is "freosiz"...would you decifer that for me? (or is it like dreams, where the dreamer needs to be the one to interpret?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word is "kiness" which seems to fit... noted your books on my list. I know I can always count on you for book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...