Saturday, April 04, 2009

Uni-Verse Challenge

April is National Poetry Month:

If you've been reading this site for any length of time, you're aware that I love poetry. The probability is high that you are also a person who likes to make and create.

So instead of breaking copyright law by typing miles of someone else's verse, how about if we do a "make your own" poem?

A couple days ago in Complex Abundance some of you commented that having boundaries tends to improve creativity and the quality of the product. Haiku poems provide the boundaries of 3 lines of 5 - 7 - 5 syllables. The process is a little mental floss exercise, causing you to think a little differently about what you feel and how you would say it. Fiber art is full of Haiku possibilities. Here's mine for today:

Leftist Leanings
Slip one, knit one, psso
makes a left leaning decrease
or a two stitch hug.

Okay...now you try it. Or go to the How to Write a Haiku page (which has more rules than the first link), then write your own. I'll warn you... they are addictive, especially as you sit and knit, spin or weave.

If you write one, please let me know in the comments. I'd love to read it!!

Happy poetry month!!

PS: If you're more visual than verbal, go take a look at The Free Verse Project and its Flickr page.

5 comments:

  1. You always have the coolest links....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great links, can't come up with anything Haiku-ish,
    now limericks, those are doable, but I'm not sure they are quite up to poetry standards, at least mine aren't..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love Haiku!

    Wedding stole to weave
    Drafts, designs, colors mingling
    Tangling momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy - reading other people's haikus!!

    Cyndy is right - you do have the coolest links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got a book of poetry by Ted Kooser from the library booksale called Poetry at Night. I like him so much more than Billy Collins. I've also discovered that I prefer to read poetry in collections rather than one at a time. It reveals more about the poet. Has it always been a year since you turned me on to poetry?!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...