Monday, March 23, 2009

Pay it Forward Stash Exchange

Tim over at Hawthorne Works has decided to do some creative destashing. He is offering selected items out of his yarn stash for the simple cost of postage plus a donation to the charity of your choice for whatever value you place on the yarn.

I received this silk/rayon blend weaving yarn at 6800 ypp.

These are ~ 8 oz tubes, totaling about 2.5 lbs. of yarn. I have been looking for something similar to this for some weaving experimentation. This yarn represents many (near) future hours of weaving and dyeing entertainment.

I mailed Tim postage reimbursement over the weekend. Today I went shopping for the charity donation:
So in my own strange calculus, 2.5 lbs. yarn equals:
  • 55 single servings of oatmeal
  • 30 single servings of cold cereal
  • (8) 7 oz. cans of tuna
  • (8) 18 oz. cans of soup
  • 15 washcloths
  • 6 pr. of women's socks
  • 12 pr. of men's socks.
These items are on their way to St. Christine's Soup Kitchen in the Brightmoor of Detroit.

Usually we talk about transactions being a win-win situation. I would call this a win-win-win situation. Tim is relieved of yarn he will not be using. I have gained yarn that I have been looking for. The soup kitchen patrons get items that they need in the tight economy.

Tim has more stuff up for destashing. Click on the link above and look around his blog.

Meanwhile, I have some sampling to do!

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, your're right everyone wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I like these kind of transactions!

    ..if only the economic problems of today would resolve themselves in this way it would be a near perfect world ;-)

    I love the photo of the "future hours". It is the fiber artists blank canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:43 AM

    What a great idea. May be something our knitting guild could do for our local soup kitchen. We were discussing a yarn swap or auction or something and this sounds like a better alternative.
    Thanks for sharing Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic idea! And it seems to be spawning more good ideas. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh - I hope to get your vision-ability some day. I appreciate his generosity but don't even know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! It really is win win win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops! forgot to say one more thing! I feel a connection to you as we seem to be the same age (I'm assuming you are 52, and not 252 as your profile says!), we both began knitting about 40 years ago, weaving about 30 years ago, and spinning more recently (for me over a decade ago).

    How nice to find you!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...