Thursday, September 11, 2008

I am so sick of being lied to.....

And am even sicker when I hear people cheerfully lapping up lies. For that reason I'm going on a news black out for the day. It's my way of honoring Sept. 11: A sobering fact that this current administration has used as grist for one lie after another.

I remember sitting in front of the tv and watching Colin Powell deliver the reasons for invading Iraq as he presented them to the United Nations. I made a point of watching this. I wanted to hear the facts.

Colin Powell: remember him? He has an even greater right to be angry about lies. This administration spoon fed them to him so he would trot them out before the world. A lot of us, spurred by the fear induced on 9/11 believed him. The result: a war that distracts us from the Afghanistan front and had nothing to do with 9/11 was begun....and continues to this day.

And Sarah Palin? One of the biggest liars of all.....the paper trail of her support for the bridge to nowhere until is was politically dead is real and substantial. Yet she shamelessly and repeatedly stands up before people to tell them how she's against pork barrel spending...and people cheer when she says it!? People, what she's really against is anyone but her dipping their fists into the pork barrel. (And that smarmy "Thanks but, no thanks" comment is like fingernails on a black board!)

And there are lies of omission:

Michigan is hurting. As I go about my errands and appointments I drive past homes with heaps of belongings stacked outside. Sometimes there are big dumpsters. These days it's much more likely to be an eviction or foreclosure than a remodeling event. When I sit in church on Sunday, I can look in any direction and my eyes will rest on someone who has lost their job. Several of those have lost or are close to losing their homes. Those of us who are on more solid ground stock the church pantry and buy gas cards for the pastors' discretionary coffers.

That's why it makes me sick to read this. Yep...the first thing you do when you lose your home is run out and change your voter registration. It's hard enough to tackle when you've moved under the best of circumstances.

But it's in the best interest of the current ruling party to prevent its victims from voting. And with that in mind we learn this.

Before I end this rant, there's one thing I ask you to do: educate yourself.

Put FactCheck.org as a button on your browser. If you're not familiar the quote below is from their "About Us" page:

"We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding."

And note that the McCain campaign twists FactCheck facts here

Pick up a copy of Hot, Flat, and Crowded, read through it, and latch onto the spirit of optimism that Tom Friedman threads through some of the scary reality in which we live.

And most importantly: Think about what you learn and take it to the polls.

I have to go write a check to the League of Women Voters

4 comments:

  1. I keep wondering who wrote Palin's RNC speech - since it was generic for whoever the VP nominee is with modifications for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. I'm finding it more and more difficult to listen to the news these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But who reads, or for that matter, listens to the news any more. So many homes here are vacant, but who's looking. Too many gameboys to play and DVDs to watch. Fahrenheit 451 anyone? - it makes my stomach roil. Ian, the early riser, dragged me out of bed to see the news on 9/11. I was oh-so-groggy, but we remember me saying - how could Bush have not known? I realized that was treasonous and asked Ian not to repeat me. I wish he would have. I wasn't the treasonous one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. Half an hour ago, as I picked my daughter up from her kindergarten class *in Australia*, her teacher came up to me and squeezed my arm and said "please tell me she's not going to win". I knew who she was talking about, and I lay awake every night worrying about it.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...