Sunday, July 20, 2008

Random: all about me, in my head, stuff (mostly spinning):

Spinning A: This spinning has been languishing for awhile. The fiber is Border Leicester lamb blended with mohair, alpaca, and a smidge of silk. It was sold as top. Although it is well blended fiber with no neps or lumps, it's not true combed top (sort of a George W. Bush version of top).


I've been happy with the singles. I tried plying a few yards and the yarn became instantly boring to me. The singles is just more lively and exciting. Here's a swatch knitted with the singles:

As much as I like the yarn, an end product was just not suggesting itself and the fiber languished at the wheel. Then today I found Pam's February Lady Sweater. It's from EZ's book: Knitter's Almanac (scroll down the page). It's an $8.00 book, not much more than I paid for it about 25 years ago....A bargain in this economy!

I've downloaded Pam's pattern and will probably dink with it a bit to either round out the neckline or put on a small collar (square necks and raglan shaping make me look like a linebacker). But it looks like the right sort of garment for this yarn.

Spinning B: In this post I admitted that I've also been spindle spinning. Since that post I've spun another half ounce (a spindle full), a reflection of how much (or how little) tv I've watched in the past couple weeks.

BTW... Ted and Stasia asked about the spindle in that post. It's a Tom Forrester cherry support spindle and bowl, purchased at the '03 SOAR. I love it.

Yesterday I was in need of a little retail therapy so I headed up to Beth's shop which was full of people taking a class. Nevertheless I was able to slip into a corner and play with the spindles until this one called out to me. It's an Ann Grout .55 ounce spindle. There's a Celtic design on the whorl which this picture doesn't show. (If you ask real nice in the comments, I'll post a picture of the whorl design for you.)

However, the picture does show that it can spin lovely fine yarn as a drop spindle. The fiber here is a 50/50 camel silk top (now this is truly combed top) that is spinning up about 35 wpi on the spindle.

The only drawback I've found with this spindle is its attractiveness to the cat when in use. My other drop spindles have significantly more mass and the cat is afraid of them, but this little light thing can be pretty irresistible to the feline set.

Since the spindle was so reasonably priced, I had to take a look through the books and came home with two I had not seen before. This one will be fun for just putzing around to make straps, closures, etc. for woven items:

And this one is the Pièce de résistance of the trip:


I love Evelyn Clark's lace shawl designs for their beauty, simplicity, and economy of design. In this book, she takes you through the thought processes of designing a lace triangular shawl. There's even an appendix with charts to relate approximate yardages of different weights of yarn to the size of shawl; valuable information for the handspinner.
The book is published by Fiber Trends and is a wonderful gift to the knitting community.

That's it....gotta go wind a warp while the washer and dryer are running.

Don't worry, Ted, I left a lot of stuff at The Spinning Loft to tempt you on Aug. 2nd!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for leaving some stuff there for me !

    When you be dropping by when I'm there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the sweater pattern. I like it a really large lot - need to think about what to spin for it. I needed that challenge - thanks again. Un-thanks for nudging my already huge nagging to wanting a new lighter spindle. Blink, blink, blink. I'm trying to ignore this - it will pass - breath -

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...