Friday, April 18, 2008

With apologies to Harry Chapin:

A Fleece arrived just the other day,
It came to the house in the usual way,
But there was yarn to knit and bills to pay.
It joined the stash while I was away.
And it was boxed up ’fore I knew it, and as it sat.
"It said I’m gonna be like that yarn,
You know, I’m gonna be like that."

And the cat’s in the roving and the silver combs,
Little drum carders and the dye pot too.
"When you gonna wash me?"
"I don’t know when, but we’ll get you processed then, Fleece.
You know we’ll make some great yarn then."



That Fleece turned 10 just the other day,
It said, "Thanks for the wash, Val, come on let’s play. Can you dye me pretty?"
I said, "Not today, I got a lot to do." It said, "That’s okay."
And as I walked away, it’s luster never dimmed.
It said, "I’m gonna be like that yarn,
You know, I’m gonna be like that."

And the cat’s in the roving and the silver combs,
Little drum carders and the dye pot too.
"When you gonna dye me?"
"I don’t know when, but we’ll get you processed then, Fleece.
You know we’ll make some great yarn then."


I came home from SOAR just the other day,
So full of ideas I just had to say: "Fleece I’m proud of you can we spin for awhile?"
It shook it’s locks and said with a smile, "What I’d really like, Val, is a run through the combs.
See the vm that you missed before?"

And the cat’s in the roving and the silver combs,
Little drum carders and the dye pot too.
"When you gonna card me?"
"I don’t know when, but we’ll get you processed then, Fleece.
You know we’ll make some great yarn then."



Well, I've long since retired but I have less time,
I dug the Fleece out just the other day.
I said, "I'd like to spin you if you don't mind."
It said, "I'd love to Val, if I could draft just fine.
But this waxy grease's a hassle and there's keds in here too,
but it's sure nice talking to you, Val.
It's been sure nice talking to you."
And as I packed up that fleece it occurred to me,
My stash was owning me,
yes, my stash was owning me.

And the cat’s in the roving and the silver combs,
Little drum carders and the dye pot too.
"When you gonna spin me?"
"I don’t know when, but we’ll get you processed then, Fleece.
You know we’ll make some great yarn then."

Photo's and text property of Valerie M.

7 comments:

  1. There are those that love processing a good fleece and there are others (like me) that like a good cleaned, carded, ready to spin roving. I still have about 3 lbs of raw alpaca to deal with. And while I am happy (so happy) that it is not greasy, there is still all of that VM to deal with.I am not a fan of VM. I think that I have become spoiled with the clean, ready to spin roving. Still baby Felicity has a very fine fleece and I can't wait to finally get to it (although it may be some time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this tune - you are so witty - and unfortunately, my stash owns me too.

    And what did I do this morning? Looked at fleece for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic lyrics, Valerie! I couldn't help singing along as I read it. You should thank your lucky stars that you didn't hear me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, Val Stevens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha!! Very clever! Still, it's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Lyrics to that very familiar tune. Move over Cat's in the Cradle - make way for the Roving.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...