Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Saturation point:
I spent the weekend in Suzanne Halvorson's class. Designed a color scheme, warped the loom, participated in class exercises, and wove off the warp in time to re-warp the loom for Jason Collingwood's workshop which started today. From scarves to rugs in one fell swoop!

Spent today in Jason's Four End Block Weave class w/ shaft-switching. Lot's of information today, not so much weaving accomplished. The coming two days should rectify that. Must spend tonight digging through my stash to find the perfect background color for those egg dyed yarns.

In addition to learning the content of the two classes, I've been learning a few other things:
  • I still am not a "social learner". I have always hated classes where you break out into groups and discuss or problem solve. Certain types of material is very conducive to that approach. But when I'm trying to master something new or assimilate information to make it my own, it goes much better if I can go off to a corner and manipulate, mutilate, and sometimes digest the information.
  • I have been given the gift of a strong foundation of the basics in weaving and color theory by some very good teachers.
  • I know more than I think I do about some things.
  • I don't know as much as I thought I did about others.
  • I'm going to throttle the next class mate who sits besides me and counts out their threading/treadling sequence out loud when I'm using a different sequence. On second thought, I may do it even if it is the same sequence I'm using.
So it's no surprise to get this result:



Your Thinking is Concrete and Sequential



You are precise, orderly, and realistic.

You tend to get to the point and get things done.



Difficult, detailed work is easy for you. You take things step by step.

Time limits aren't a problem for you either. You work well with deadlines.



What does drive you crazy is any sort of task that isn't precisely laid out.

You don't like anything to be ambiguous. You prefer to deal with the facts at hand.


You'll have to wait for photo's. It's a jam packed week.

3 comments:

  1. I tried to take the quiz, but there were five questions and I'm sitting in front of a woodstove with a purring cat on my lap and I liked all 20 answers. So how do I learn?! Through my pores I guess. And where does the music come in - I mean, really, How can you learn without music. I submit that the quiz is flawed - and that I'm jealous of your workshops

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I was thinking what does this have to do with anything as I tried to choose the best answer and got this karmic reply.
    I think its faster and better than the Meyers Briggs.

    "Your Thinking is Concrete and Random.

    You are naturally inquisitive and curious.
    You're excited by new ideas, and you are a true independent thinker.

    You are interested in what is possible. You like the process of discovery.
    You are often experimenting, challenging old ideas, and inventing new concepts.

    Rules, restrictions, and limit don't really work for you.
    You have to do things your own way, and you can't be bothered to explain yourself."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first point - same here, and further, it takes me years to understand some of the things I'm taught.

    Your third point - YAY!!

    Your last point - let's never sit next to each other even if the opportunity arises, yeah? I'm so used to working along I don't notice when I count out loud, and sometimes I do it in different languages, so...

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...