Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ordinarily I'm not one to do as I'm told,

However in this case, I'm making an exception. It's crazy, but I am signed up for both workshops. I will somehow get one warp put on and woven off in 2 days and put an other one on the 3rd day in order to attend the second workshop. I could use 2 different looms, but hate to drag the floor room around and ask people older than me to help schlep it around. Suffice it to say, you won't be seeing much in the way of blog posts from me that first weekend in April.

Now as a public service announcement, I leave you with the following (forwarded to me by my sister):



Fred Rogers may be claimed by Pittsburgh as a her treasure, but the truth is: He's from Latrobe, Pa. A small town about 8 miles from the even smaller town where I grew up. He is a one a kind treasure.

My direct experience with him was when I worked as a physical therapist for Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh back in the mid-70's when he did a taping session with a female orthopedic surgeon (a rare species in those days!) to produce a segment for children who would have to wear a cast.

Everything Fred was on his show, he was in person: a genuine article. He was an ordained Presbyterian minister whose call was to serve young children and their parents. He did show everyone who crossed his path genuine love.
And he was ridiculed for it... publicly and mercilessly. Yet he took it all in stride as evidenced in a show he did with Ira Glass on This American Life

I could write more...but you can see the evidence here

So even if it's 80 degrees outside on March 20th, and even though I live 320 miles away from Pittsburgh, I'll be wearing a cardigan sweater on Thursday.....
And maybe even my slippers too!
Happy Birthday, Mr. Rogers. We miss you!

6 comments:

  1. Am I remembering correctly that his mother knitted those cardigans?

    I loved Mr. Rogers -- especially the Neighborhood of Make Believe. To this day the sound of that trolley toot-tooting makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Thanks Val,
    Now you and Mr. Rogers made me smile today. I passed your post on to my knitting friends to make them smile too.My knitting friend Wendy sent this post to me.Jeff and Allan have Easter eggs with a dollar bill inside that Mr. Rogers gave them while we were visiting Fred's parents in Latrobe.Mr. R's sister lived up the street from them.Happy times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:30 PM

    In my recent post I mentioned Mr. Rogers (sister) lived near Fred's homestead. I meant to say relative as Mr. Rogers had no sister. Their family consisted of all boys and I knew that.
    Dahhhhh
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that made my eyes leak. I saw lots of him, along with my kids. I never forgot his recipe for clay-dough, delivered with eyebrow raised punctuation, "1 cup of flour, 2 cups of salt and just enough water to make it right for modeling." I can heae it in my head. I'll be wearing my sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in Canada with no cable TV, I missed Mr Rogers as a child. When I first saw him in my early teens, I am ashamed to say that I was one of those who ridiculed him. Now that I am older and (I hope) wiser, I know that the world could use millions of people like him. I'll be wearing my sweater on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love and adore Mr. Rogers and not just because I was born in Latrobe Hospital on the hill above the brewery, but because he was such a wonderful role model for children and that his legacy continues on today.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...