Friday, February 01, 2008


Coronation of the Ice Queen:

There are a lot of these on the web right now. I've been wondering how others blocked theirs and wracked my brain for the best way to get the shape imparted by the pattern.

This is how I blocked Ice Queen. The blocking form is a small trash can, padded with an old bath towel and supported on a pillow.

Long before it even got to the blocking stage, the men in my household called it a "fire hydrant cozy". This photo doesn't do much to improve on that perception.



This is one way to wear her:



But I think I prefer this more asymmetrical drape:


If I were to make this pattern again, I would probably stick with the suggested yarn of Kidsilk Haze. I used Filatura Di Crosa Superior, a silk and cashmere yarn which is soft and fuzzy....almost too soft and fuzzy to show any pattern. However it is very comfortable against the skin and quite cozy!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful Queen! Get your machine out. They are a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the pattern just fine and it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful!
    I love the color...it reminds me of the limestone pools and the blue ice that comes from them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!

    I prefer the asymmetrical drape too - looks good for a hydrant cozy. (Too funny).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so pretty! I think that it is beautiful any way that you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really very beautiful. Thanks for always visiting my blog, it takes me a while to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! That is absolutely gorgeous! Makes me think that I shouldn't give up on lace knitting just yet. Great idea for the blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your second draping of the Ice Queen is stunning. The lacework looks as though it is bobbin lace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Like a cobweb!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...