Saturday, October 13, 2007

Book Me-Me:
I've been tagged for the book me-me by Cathy. Hmm, this will take some thought to avoid regretting my answers once the publish button is clicked.

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?

Trade paperback when possible. They are sturdy, economical, recyclable, and easy to handle. It's just one way to be good between the covers .

2. If I were to own a book shop, I would call it…

There used to be a book store in the area which had a coffee shop, at least a decade and a half before B&N and Borders caught the idea. The name of that store: Eye Browse. I could never top that name.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is…
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise." Margaret Atwood, Cat's Eye (1988)

3a. My favorite quote from a blogger
"But we persist. We knit and spin and dye and weave, and sometimes fling beads on everything, and call it good.

It has to be for the love of it. " Sara Lamb


4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be…

I'll pick two:
Alive: Margaret Atwood
Deceased: Wallace Stegner

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be…

Again, I would try to wheedle my way into taking two. One would be the Bible (either NIV or Revised Standard version)....there's every kind of story in there and some great poetry as well. The second would be Evidence of Things Unseen by Marianne Wiggins .

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that…

They already have and you can see it here.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of…

browsing around used book stores.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be…

phew boy...the only ones I can think of are pretty tragic. Let's see there's the unnamed narrator in Rebecca (as in.."Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.") It would be intriguing but stressful to be that character.

I've got it: Bathsheba Everdene ! That's the character for me!


9. The most overestimated book of all times is…

No thinking required on this one: The DaVinci Code. (Notice I didn't even put a link.)

10. I hate it when a book…

Has a lot of graphic violence that isn't necessary to the plot or story line. Patricia Cornwell has gone down this path since her earliest books.

And now for the tagging part - if they are so inclined:

I would be interested in seeing what Lee and Sharon would write. Mary and I attend book group together, and we talk books, but I don't know what her answers would be. And I'd love to read Catherine's responses, but I don't know if she'll do a Me-Me.

And any of you reading this...feel free to do the Me-Me, but let me know so I can see too!


4 comments:

  1. Bloglines is totally acting up -- your post only showed up today. Weird.

    This is the first time I've been tagged -- I'll try to do you proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tagging me - this is going to be fun. Cat's Eye is my favorite Margaret Atwood and it's probably about time I re-read it. As for Stegner, I arm wrestled our book club into reading Angle of Repose this next year. You realize that the mine in the story is the Empire Mine in Grass Vally where Sara lives, and is just on the other side of the Sierras from here. The papers that Stegner used are those of Mary Hallock Foote (her husband was the engineer at the mine) and were published in A Gentlewoman in the Far West. If you can't get it through interlibrary loan, I'll loan you my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment when I first read your post and it must have disappeared!

    I love your answers and LOL that you picked Sara Lamb to quote. I love that one too.

    I look forward to seeing what your tagees write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just have to say ... your comment that the DaVinci Code is the most overestimated book of all time ... I think I'd have to agree with you on that one.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...