Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Threads of thought....

Thinking about Play and the serious topic of my last post along with all the frog eating noted in earlier posts.

If you read Krista's Journal she makes the observation: "At one end of the play spectrum in animals, there are labrador retrievers; at the other, there are wolves. Human beings act like labs in childhood and wolves in adulthood. But all we are learning about the human brain and body suggest that we are in fact hard-wired to learn and grow, by way of play and pleasure, across our life span."

Hmmm....that statement has a sense of optimism to it for all of us. And yet it makes my last post about human trafficking feel even more grim.

I could write more, but it would me mostly "navel gazing" sort of stuff. Fiber is often my play. Reading definitely feeds my fantasy.

There has been more fantasy than fiber in my life lately. I highly recommend my recent reads: The Book of Lost Things and Moral Disorder (see My Library Thing at right) .

There's a certain irony that Margaret Atwood finds her way into this post. Human trafficking was a sub-plot in her book Oryx & Crake and I've heard her say in interview: "In the end, all stories are about wolves."

There are a few unfinished knitting projects that have been lingering. I don't love them and don't know what I was thinking when I started them. They will be raveled and returned to the state of a "center pull ball". I must stop chasing after the "tennis balls" that the knitting blogosphere tosses and start knitting only the things that I truly love. (There must be more labrador retriever in me than I thought!)

1 comment:

  1. Margaret Atwood terrifies me. I love her writing, but her projections into the future look more like possibilities than fiction.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...