Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Vision Quest...

Yesterday was my biannual eye exam. I've worn glasses since 6th grade for nearsightedness and astigmatism and have worn progressive lenses for about 10 years. Oh yes, and I have Floaters.....Lot's of them. The blue sky picture on the link is pretty accurate for what they look like in case you have no experience of these entertaining little annoyances. However in real life they move...or float as the name would suggest. I used to entertain myself in 3rd grade by moving my eyes to watch the floaters move against the background of the chalk board. (That must have looked very strange to the teacher. It's a wonder I didn't get 'referred' for special needs!)

During the past year I've noticed that traffic signs are getting harder to read while driving. Not the BIG GREEN AND WHITE signs that hang suspended over the highway....I can read those as long as there's not a big freakin' huge truck or SUV blocking the view until I'm right on top of it. But those smaller signs on the shoulder.....with things like the Speed Limit or street signs....you know, important stuff.

What's even more frustrating is dh and ds, who both wear glasses, have corrected vision that is so sharp, I swear they could tell me what's on the other side of a solid wall. So while I'm still trying to make out what a sign says, they're saying "You mean you can't read that?!"

Recently an optometrist that we used to go to sent out a flyer announcing that they are a licensed provider for This new product. We switched to an opthalmologist from these guys back when my son was in second grade and had 20/15 binocular vision and the optometrist aggressively wanted to fit him with glasses (one eye was far sighted/one near sighted and he functioned just fine without correction. He went without glasses until the beginning of his 3rd year in college.)

Dh latched onto the flyer and thought this might be "the thing" for me. So, I took the web based information with me to the opthalmologist. After the exam, when he told me that my distance vision was corrected as well as it can be corrected (!?!) I asked him about this high resolution system. Being the good guy that he is, he admitted that he was totally unfamiliar with the product and the concept and couldn't address the topic one way or the other. But...if I thought it might help me achieve better distance vision I should look into it.

Remember way back when medical people told you what to do and you did it? Now we have choices......and the consequences that go with them!

So, I'm trying to decide whether to make an appointment with the 'gorilla optometrists' to investigate this proprietary vision system. Or....being a physical therapist and knowing that most of the things I do are close work like This and This and This, maybe the issue can be addressed through ocular exercises or yoga eye exercises to improve my ability to focus at distances? The exercises won't do anything for the floaters...but.....

I'm posting this here for two reasons:
  • most of the people who read this also do fine handwork.
  • maybe someone has had experience with the high resolution vision system.
Meanwhile, I'm going to go stare off into the distance and see if I can focus.

5 comments:

  1. i also have floaters. i know what you mean, they're rather entertaining at times, if somewhat aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eyes sound a lot like mine -- early onset, floaters. What did your biennial exam reveal yesterday? I get the impression you're too young for cataracts. In my experience, they made the general fuzziness of the world fuzzier and fuzzier. The operation has cleared things up wonderfully -- not only road signs, I can read the number of an approaching bus in good time to decide whether I want to get on it or not.
    But I've lost the near-sighted crafter's ability to take the glasses off and bring the work up to the nose and see it better. Plastic eyes don't vari-focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A subject near and dear to my heart. I decided against the surgery because I can see up to four feet and don't want to always be looking for readers. So I'm typing this with my glasses on my head - I always know where they are when they're up there. As for progressives - hate 'em. I'm content to have a clear reading area and a clear distance area in my glasses. I grew tired of moving my face around, trying to get a focus, which probably looked as weird now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wendy e6:19 AM

    I went to a new optometrist last month, and had to INSIST - several times - that he correct my computer vision, as well as distance and reading. (The old optometrist wouldn't listen even when I insisted.)

    He finally gave me toric contacts for distance, and 2 strengths of readers. It's a pain, but less so than the headaches.

    I'll take out the contacts for lace, just like I used to take off the bifocals - but as you can tell, lately I'm not doing much lace.

    Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have floaters, too - the drive me nuts when I look up at the sky.

    I'll look forward to hearing how your research progresses... good luck!

    Thanks for your kind words at my blog. Annie continues to fight!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...