Monday, June 11, 2007

Hyrna Herborgar By The Numbers:

First, thank you all for the generous compliments in the comments. I'm afraid I just slapped up the post in my rush to get out of town for the weekend. So now I'll give you "the numbers" which should answer most of the questions in the comments:


At the bottom of the photo, you can see that the fiber length of the cashmere was about 1.5 ". The singles yarn is about 26 WPI and the McMorran Balance says it's about 4600 ypp. There's about 5-7 twists per inch in the singles yarn.

At the top you can see what the yarn would have looked like in a 2 ply. I didn't like the 2 ply well enough to sacrifice half the length of the yarn.

Leigh asked how long the project took from spinning through knitting. The truth is, I don't know. The yarn was spun a couple years ago on my Trillium reproduction Saxony wheel using scotch tension and short draw with a whorl ratio of about 7.5:1. Remembering the time period when I spun the yarn, it probably took me about a week to two weeks of intermittent spinning to fill the bobbin with all 4 oz.

I liked the yarn well enough after sampling, but never could think of a project for the yarn. So, I skeined it off, washed it, and dried it flat with just a little bit of tension. The tension applied was by putting the skein over two V8 bottles filled with water which are then placed just far enough apart to keep the skein under slight tension.

When Ted posted his completed Hyrna Herborgar, that skein of cashmere singles came to mind and I thought, "What the heck. The yarn's not doing anyone any good sitting in the cupboard."

The knitting was relatively straight forward. I started the shawl while at my sisters for Md. S&W on May 6 and the shawl was blocked and ready for it's photo shoot on June 6.

There are several places where I would come to a thin place in the yarn. At first when that happened, I broke off the yarn and tried to do a "fulled" join (moisture and twisting together between my fingers). That was less than satisfactory so I switched using a Russian Join, using a slightly sharp tapestry needle to split the thread and pull the end through the fibers in the yarn. That worked fine, even though the yarn is a single.

Blocking was interesting. I thought that some of those "fulled joins" or weak spots in the yarn might drift apart under the kind of strenuous blocking this pattern required. It didn't happen. The yarn behaved very nicely during blocking.

The point of the exercise is to demonstrate that a well spun (well....even a moderately spun...) singles yarn can be very serviceable in the right application.

Other News: Today We Are 30
Thirty years ago, on a beautiful sunny day very much like today we were married here. It's hard to believe it's been that long. 2007 has been especially sweet.
This past weekend we headed up here for a quick weekend get away.

So there you have all the numbers you might want to know and a bit more.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations for the 30th. Thanks for the info on knitting with singles. As you know, I crochet with singles all the time but ply for knitting. Now I am inspired to knit with the singles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 30th and how nice that you were able to slip away for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - what a beautiful place to celebrate such an important moment. Thanks for the instruction for Russian join. I've never seen or heard of it, but it makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the info! I've never heard of a Russian join, but see that it could come in very handy!

    And Congratulations on your 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even with a couple of years in between spinning and knitting, you still got it done pretty quickly. It's interesting to me because I've never had the nerve to try and do anything with singles. Also, congrats on your 30th, that's great!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...