Sunday, April 29, 2007

Spinning posts have been rather sparse lately. I sat down last night and played with this merino/tencel (70/30) top that has aged in my stash. This will be short and sweet.

The Fiber:




The Yarn:
About 32 wpi as a two ply.



The Fabric:

The stitch pattern is from Victorian Lace Today , next to last on chart p. 61. It is true knitted lace as there are yo's in every row.

I have 8 oz. of this top. I'm undecided about the drape of this fabric. When wet, the tencel made the fabric kind of crisp as rayon (and sometimes silk) is want to do. The swatch is about 4" x 6" and even though it's completely dry, it still feels a bit "stiff" to me for a drapey lace piece.

The color....only the fiber photo appears "true" on my monitor. The yarn photo was taken under the Ott Light last night. The finished yarn and fabric are darker than the top. The tencel in the yarn is white and does shine through in the yarn. I'm not sure how I feel about that either.

2 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow - that's gorgeous. I can't believe you did that in an evening! In answer to your question, I'm afraid to mess with copper mordant. It's really toxic and Anne Bliss doesn't encourage it's use. I'll stick with alum and cream of tartar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From here it all looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...