Thursday, February 08, 2007

It all becomes clear....

Last night I had the good fortune to attend a budget planning class at the credit union with my 21 year old son. He wanted to learn more about personal finances and didn't want to go alone.

I am so glad I went. First of all, it's amazing to me that the savings rate for our country was below zero for 2005. That's scary.

Second: It was gratifying to hear the 30 something presenter confirm all of the things we've been telling DS for 21 years: "Live within your means. Don't buy into a lifestyle and amenities that are beyond what you earn."

On the way home he said, "All the things you & Dad did and said through high school make sense now. Gosh, I feel sorry for my friends who had cell phones, new clothes every week, and cars as soon as they turned 16. The parents provided those things as a convenience to themselves, but it taught my friends to think they couldn't live without them."

There are two more classes in the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to them. (Not that I'm one of those people who always needs to be right....ha!)

3 comments:

  1. I wish my son (age 32) had listened to me. He's almost 300K in debt and is filing for bankruptcy. He was taught differently but made his own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could glibly say it's called being a wise steward, but I think some people are more interested in frugality by temperment than others. I keep falling in and out of debt, kinda like the five pounds that I perpetually gain and lose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend's accountant told him that 75% of his clients are one paycheck away from bankruptcy. So many people seem to have the need to keep up with what they see on TV. Did you know that TV was originally invented as a way to market products? The first shows were basically 30 or 60 minute commercials. Some things never change.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...