Friday, January 12, 2007

Weaving has commenced:


I'm happy with the colors and the patterns that emerge on this 8 harness point twill threadling. This pattern is "tromp as writ" on a 3-2-1-2 tie up. There's 7 yards to this warp to experiment with different tie-ups and treadling. I'm thinking that the last 3/4 yard may be woven honeycomb with serged edges for dishcloths to match the towels.
Here's the color inspiration for the towels:

Also wanted to post about these "nifty gifties" from Mary's sister, Ellie:

What a delight and surprise! Thank you, Ellie (if you read this) for thinking of me. I have nothing that compares to them. Now I need a project that is worthy of them!

Speaking of projects, worthy and unworthy: it appears that there is not enough yarn for me to complete the border on the Print o' the Wave Stole. I suppose there is at least something to be said for consistency....as in a project of consistent misery. It's not that I don't like the shawl, and it's not that it's a bad pattern, it's just that this project has bad "juju", for lack of a better phrase. I want to say that this has never happened before, but I think it's just that I've never stuck with something through the misery before. I'm at a decision point:
  • rip back 3 sides of edging, then rip back some of the body of the shawl to gain sufficient yarn to complete the edging.
  • attach a new skein of yarn and proceed to finish.
  • rip the whole d*mn thing out and use the yarn for something else.
I ordered a new skein of the yarn from Yarn Barn of Kansas. I know it won't be the same dye lot...but we'll see how it matches up. Then I'll decide between the 2nd and 3rd options above. If I start to rip, I will not likely stop for option number 1. If nothing else, the yarn would make a nice weaving yarn.

Oh...and while I was placing that order a skein of this hopped into my online basket. I'm still hankering after a red Swallowtail Shawl from the Fall '06 Interweave Knits. This is a lot more yarn than I will need, but it's faster than spinning and dyeing my own (again).
With this lengthy post, my blog is up to date...except to note that today is ds's 21st birthday. Where did all of that time go!?

4 comments:

  1. Like the weaving, before you said cloths, I thought upholstery fabric, maybe a nice chair... :-)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do any dyeing ( or know someone nearby that does) I say finish the stole with the now yarn and dye it .
    The weaving is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice11:20 AM

    Happy Birthday to Steven!!!! Ooops
    Was off x-c skiing on your b-day and had to go the next day too because that was our first chance and rain was coming to ruin it yesterday. Love ya anyway, hope it was a good one.
    Valerie---the color in the woven blew me away---Oh my Gosh it is absolutely beautiful! What more can I say.
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. The twill is fantastic! Are you using the purple in the warp as the weft? I can't tell if it looks darker because of texture or because it is.

    I know what you mean about the time. My two oldest are 31 and 30!! How'd that happen?

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...