Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Walk With Me Wednesday

With due credit to Smatterings here's a post of my Wednesday walk.

I've mentioned before that I walk in our township park. In the summer I have to get up very early in order to have it mostly to myself. But this time of year I, and a few others like me, get to reclaim it for ourselves. In the same way, the wild nooks and crannies expand to reclaim the park once the sprayscape shuts down; the baseball diamonds lie fallow; and it's too cold, wet, and nasty for the playscape.

Here's the fishpond. The ducks and a family of muskrats have been busy in the pond on most of my walks, but they're keeping to themselves today. The weather is about to change, which probably explains their quiet.


A close up of spent featherbells:



The sledding hill is ready for the first accumulation of snow (which might be Friday!):





Reminds me of that song: "Signs, signs, everywhere signs....".

I ask you, what is sledding if not horseplay?!

Growing up in the Chestnut Ridge area of Pennsylvania, every alleyway around the perimeter of town became a sledding hill. And there were no rules, much to the chagrin of Mrs. Schaeffer whose house used to sit at base of the best sledding hill in West Derry. There wasn't a kid in that town who hadn't banged their sled into the stone foundation of that home....right next to her wooden back steps.

Here in SE Michigan, people drive (!?!) up to 15 miles to find a sledding hill. Only to arrive and find rules! And boundaries:



And while looking forward to the arrival of that first blanket of snow, we are reminded of picnics past:



Thanks for walking with me.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:04 AM

    When I was a kid, we used to sled down the riverbank. There was an informal boat launch place that was at the junction of two roads. When the conditions were right with snow on the hill and bare ice on the river, we could slide for what seemed like miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of my youngest daughter who learned to ride her bike in Michigan. When we were visiting my mom, Sarah complained that the peddles were harder at Grandma's. We couldn't figure out what she meant until we realized that she had never had to peddle up a hill before! Now we live at the top of a hill and our driveway goes straight down. Makes getting the mail an aerobic workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo of the spent featherbells is beautiful!

    I cannot believe that sign says "uncontrollable sleds prohibited"...I've never met a sled I could control....

    ps...the wool and words in the post below are lovely...

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...