Friday, October 27, 2006

Like Potato Chips...

I love processing raw wool. There's something about pulling out a lock, flicking both ends and tieing in the middle that is so satisfying to me. When I decide to wash a crockpot full, I get started making my little wool bundles and I just can't quit. It's like potato chips, I just can't do one (or a dozen...) Here's the pile that I just tossed into the crockpot:


Apologies for the picture quality, I didn't pull out the Ott Lite to balance the incandescent lighting. But you get the idea.

The "white" (which is closer to creamy yellow until that wax comes out) is the very last of the polwarth raw fleece that I bought from Rovings at Soar 2003. The grey is a very fine Corriedale gifted to me by my email pen pal, Carol in NC.

Normally I don't mix breeds in the wash because I want to keep them separate. But since there's color variation, it seemed like a good idea to make the most of the available space in the crock pot.

If you've not seen how I wash fleece in the crock pot, there's tutorial here. It is time consuming and labor intensive, but it gets the wax out of fine fleece and maintains the lock structure for combing or carding. And if you do a little at a time, it's not such a big deal.

Okay...time to head out shopping. Dh's birthday is on Halloween so I need a gift for him. And it's down comforter weather already and we're in need of a new duvet.
So what's for dinner tonight? Probably Chinese carry out....the crockpot's in use. (Just kidding...that crock pot is 30 years old and is designated wool only)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm - I like your method of flicking before dyeing. I'll have to give it a try. Another good excuse to go Goodwill shopping for a dye-crock-pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Very useful tutorial. I usually flick the tips after washing, but it seems that before would be more helpful. Like Cathy, I think I'll take a trip to Goodwill soon. I looked at a gorgeous Cormo fleece at SAFF, but declined to pay $95 for it. Someday perhaps.....

    Oh, and I got a chuckle out of your DH's sweater story! Yes, I think it was a compliment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting the tutorial, I found it to be very helpful, and plan to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read your sweater story I had tears running down my cheeks from laughing I can see it happening so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...