Friday, August 04, 2006

The End is Near...

Yesterday I had a few minutes before yoga and was browsing Barnes & Noble, first in magazines then I wandered over to craft books. Turns out the same lady who was frantically pulling down the great variety of knitting mags and flipping through them, was in the the craft book section by the time I got there.

When I started skimming through the poorly organized titles which are dominated by knitting, quilting, and beading, she asked me: "Are you a knitter?"

Oh my...I felt like Bill Clinton when I said, "That depends on what you mean by knitter."

It brought her up short for a minute, but instead of trying to find out more, she hurriedly went into her spiel of "how would I like to get 10% of my next knitting purchase?"

She works in a yarn shop about 20 miles from said B&N. Note I said 'works for' not 'owns'. And she's out peddling discount cards to generate business in an area that is well supplied with knitting stores.

Recent stops at my LYS suggest there is an inventory glut. I take these as signs that the buzz is soon to go bust.

I wish my LYS well, but I surely will be glad to see the lemmings pass and knitting return to a skillful activity.

Something else I noticed....a couple of 'knitting books' which are essentially blogs morphed into paper with binding are positioned in the "humor" section of B&N. Like where Erma Bombeck would be (yes, I date myself here). My suspicion is that if these 'writers' are to have any longevity, their humor will turn more generic in the relatively near future. Perhaps a title like: "The Foam Is Always Taller Over the Whole Milk Cappucino Cup".

My apologies for the lack of entries. Life has been busy with a lot of travel. I'm keeping my head above water in the day to day. However, that sort of activity makes for rather boring blogging. If you stop by to read, you deserve better than my checked off "to do" list.

Travel ends soon. Hopefully fiber begins even sooner!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie - I love reading other people's "To Do" lists! Gives me insight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only hope you are right (about the knitting boom going at least slightly bust). I think the newbies who have advanced beyond silly scarves have done so, and the faddists have left the building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been very negligent in my blogging too. Life just seems to get in the way in the summer time.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...