Saturday, February 11, 2006

King's Puzzle Solved!

The King's Puzzle is off the loom. We're taking the table mat portion as a host gift tonight when we go to dinner at friends' home. (That dinner date was cancelled awhile ago do to illness.) The table mat is in the washer as I type. The table runner is up on the ironing board. There is one weft thread I want to repair before serging the ends and wet finishing. Pictures in the next post.

Also in fiber news: The Heritage Wedding Ring Shawl pattern arrived exactly one week after ordering. I have read through the instructions, but I have not taken the time to wind the sample yarns and do swatches. Sharon offers a lot of food for thought in picking out the yarn and embarking on the project.

One thing she mentions is working your way "down" to cobweb weight yarn. If I think about my last few projects, that's exactly what I've been doing. Currently working with the lace weight alpaca for the lace cardigan is good preparation. The ribbing was on size 0's and the body is on 1's (US sizing).

Sharon also emphasizes the heirloom quality of such knitting, suggesting that the item should last 100 years or more. I'm afraid if I think of it that way, I'll never start. Or if I do start, the finishing will be a big let down. I don't think I have the internal need to create an heirloom. Just the idea of embarking on a challenging journey is adequate motivation for me.

Must go wet press that mat and hem it for tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Congrads on finishing your knigs puzzle! I can't wait to see the finished photos. Yesterday must have had some finishing vibes in the air beacuse here my daughter finally finished her scarf that she had started on the Christmas break. She fringed it we will wash it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one who even contemplate knitting a cardigan with 0's or 1's.

    Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...