Tuesday, January 24, 2006

kingspuzzle4


kingspuzzle4
Originally uploaded by vmusselm.

Perhaps you think you've seen this photo before? But it's not a repeat, there really is progress:




kingpuzzle3
Originally uploaded by vmusselm.

See? This is taken from beneath the loom. Weaving with two shuttles and a skeleton tie up does not make for production speed weaving! I did cut off and retie after the last photo. The part with the treadling error will go in my sample book. This is about the halfway point for the runner. I hope to have enough warp to make a table mat as well. It would be a great gift, accompanied by a bottle of Black & Tan Scotch when we are dinner guests at a couple's home in a couple weeks. They are novice weavers.



Knitting progress on the alpaca lace cardigan is slow. The back is completed, but not blocked. Here you see it unceremoniously tossed on the bed for a photo:

alpaca lace back
Originally uploaded by vmusselm.

Although the photo doesn't look like much progress from the last one, this is 12 pattern repeats and will block to a length of 22 inches. I've started the left front. I usually knit both fronts, both sleeves, or both socks at the same time. However, I find this 1x1 twisted knit ribbing so tedious to work that I could bear to be doing the ribbing for both fronts at the same time. Perhaps once left front ribbing is done I'll start the ribbing for the right front, then just put them on the same circular needle. We'll see. This is mostly evening "in front of the tv with hubby" knitting. Slow going.




crookedsox1
Originally uploaded by vmusselm.

I've started these Sock Bug Crooked Cable Socks
as a new portable project because one can never have too many socks in the middle of winter. However, I've decided to put ribbing at the top rather than the stockinette rolled top. Some people can just never follow a pattern as written.

That's all the fiber stuff for now. I'm spending the rest of my energy ruminating about redecorating. It's been something we've been putting off for a long time because we both dread having the house ripped apart in the process. However, I've reached the point the being "ripped up" can't be much worse than the status quo.

Had a group lunch at a friend's house this afternoon. She's been to my home before. It's the first I've been to hers. When I commented on how much I liked how the walls were painted in her house, she quickly wrote down the name and phone number of the couple who did her painting/decorating. Uhhmmm....they're not relatives of hers, and she doesn't "own stock" in them...I think I get the hint. She thinks I need to redecorate too.

It's sort of like the adage "when someone spontaneously offers you a breath mint, take the hint. Take the mint." When someone offers you a painting service...take the hint....

I stopped at the library on the way home and checked out a stack of decorating magazines. Now to persuade the hubby to take the first steps on this journey. Oh how I wish decorating could be done just by thinking about it (or at least wallpaper removal!)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Val - you are quite prolific these days! I love your kingspuzzle4 and think it will be a very special gift for the lucky couple that are gifted with it. I note that you "too" have a sock project destined for those "TV with hubby" times - me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. What a great gift. I'm only sorry I can't have you over for dinner myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I have never seen a weaving like this! I can't tell from the photo, what is the background like? I have been weaving since 89, although right now my loomis being used by may daughter. I over wove getting ready for Christmas sales and gifts and let her use my loom to make herself a scarf....but she seems to have stalled. I want to start weaving again. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie, The weave structure is a combined twill and overshot pattern. If you click on the picture, you'll see a larger version of it in Flickr. There's also a close up photo and more details about the weave structure in my Jan. 5, 06 entry.

    Thank you all for the compliments! I can use all the encouragement I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went and looked on flickr and the background is very interesting! What a piece! How long is is going to be in the end?

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...