Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Poetry Thread...

If you've read me since my old blog, you know that I like poetry. Every now and then some poems cross my path that speak to me of thread, needle, and all things fiber.

For example, William Blake's

THE SHEPHERD

How sweet is the shepherd's sweet lot!
From the morn to the evening he strays;
He shall follow his sheep all the day,
And his tongue shall be filled with praise.

For he hears the lambs' innocent call,
And he hears the ewes' tender reply;
He is watchful while they are in peace,
For they know when their shepherd is nigh.

What spinner can resist a poem like that...though it does sound almost like a psalm, doesn't it?

Also...phoned my sister the other day and Flylady led her to her button box. Of course 15 minutes had passed, then another 15 minutes...and you know how it goes. I don't think I could even begin to go through my button box!

Today I found Ted Kooser's website with 3 poems online. One of them is:

A Jar of Buttons

This is a core sample
from the floor of the Sea of Mending,

a cylinder packed with shells
that over many years

sank through fathoms of shirts —
pearl buttons, blue buttons —

and settled together
beneath waves of perseverance,

an ocean upon which
generations of women set forth,

under the sails of gingham curtains,
and, seated side by side

on decks sometimes salted by tears,
made small but important repairs.


Doesn't that capture the image of a jar of buttons?
Ted is our current Poet Laureate....I like his poetry almost as much as Billy Collins

I hope you'll go and check out more of Billy and Ted's poems. Perhaps even pick up and browse (buy?) one of their books on your next bookstore trip.

And if you are into children's poetry, check out: A Sock is a Pocket for Your Toes

Meanwhile I will treadle the wheel and ply my needles in iambic pentameter.

1 comment:

  1. I like Jar of Buttons! Thanks for the poetry.org link. I will visit that one again, it's a keeper. I read a lot of Mary Oliver poetry. Have you listened to The Writer's Almanac w/Garrison Keillor? It is wonderful & he reads a poem everyday...the link is: http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...