Sunday, September 25, 2005

Forever Autumn....


Yes...I am a child of the 60's. This track came up on my MP3 shuffle during this morning's walk. Talk about being transported back 35 years (yikes!)..

Forever Autumn
The summer sun is fading as the year grows old
And darker days are drawing near.
The winter winds will be much colder
Now you're not here.

I watch the birds fly south across the autumn sky
And one by one they disappear.
I wish that I was flying with them
Now you're not here.

Like the sun through the trees you came to love me.
Like a leaf on a breeze you blew away.

Through autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way,
You always loved this time of year.
Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed now
'Cause you're not here.
'Cause you're not here.
'Cause you're not here.

Like the sun through the trees you came to love me,
Like a leaf on a breeze you blew away.

A gentle rain falls softly on my weary eyes
As if to hide a lonely tear,
My life will be forever autumn
'Cause you're not here.
'Cause you're not here.
'Cause you're not here.


Jeff Wayne, Paul Vigrass, Jerry Osborne. Released as a single in the UK. Performed by Justin Hayward.

The song fit the day perfectly and it keeps playing in my head...(oh wait, maybe I forgot to take out the earphones!)

Also on my play list are Van Morrison; Crosby, Stills, & Nash; Fleetwood Mac; The Who; & Boston. Oh yeah....let's not forget James Taylor & Judy Collins. There's newer stuff too....but the old stuff is the soundtrack of my life.

One of the things that has bumped me back to the early 70's. My dh has become the engineering recruiter from his company (which will remain nameless..but think big 3 auto) to our Alma Mater: The University of Pittsburgh. Friday evening he brought home a big Hershey bar in a Pitt wrapper with the words to the Alma Mater printed on the wrapper. This prompted a sing through of the tune. Wow, it's been a long time.

We donate and get the newsletters, magazines, and all that. Somehow we kid ourselves into thinking we've never left. Then we sent ds to a completely different school (however, it does have the same intials: U P, P U...what's the diff..right?) We visit ds at school and note that observations from our senior year hold true: freshmen get younger every year.

Suddenly, there's no more hiding from the truth. We are fast heading toward the end of the careers and professions that we launched after completing that college education back in the '70's. We are indeed facing "Forever Autumn".

And you know what...I am so thankful we don't have to do all that over again!

So there...I'm old. Get over it! (I have!)

2 comments:

  1. vickie9:13 AM

    I used to say that my college years were the best times of my life--then i look at my life today and i wouldn't go back there for a minute. Yes, we are old, and I tend to love it a little more every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not old. We are not old. We are wiser, more confident, better adjusted (hopefully!) than we could have ever hoped when we were in college. I'm on the downhill side of my 40s and thinking that my 50s are going to freakin' awesome! Other than wanting to fix some life mistakes I made when I was young and stupid, I don't want to turn back the clock!

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...