Friday, July 22, 2005

july05rose

Are we tired of roses yet?


Originally uploaded by vmusselm.



I certainly am not...and was very gratified to see this, the first of the second round of blooms, from the rose bush at my front door. The rose and following poem should provide some evidence that I'm creeping out from under my rock. In fact, I've spent much of the day on the patio engrossed in Marilynn Robinson's Gilead. What a beautiful book!


I meant to do my work today,
But a brown bird sang in the Apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.

And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand---
So what could I do but laugh and go?

- Richard Le Gallienne -

1 comment:

  1. Janice8:56 AM

    Hi Valerie,
    Sure glad you called me before posting your new entry.
    Hug Steve for me.
    Love Ya,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...